1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gggGary, Feb 28, 2020.

1. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    i doubt it was here that long, and the reason i think that is you didn't hear of nursing homes being wiped out at the time. of course our irresponsible one track news was occupied with something else at the time and that could be why

Goldenboy, nj1639 and thuban like this.
  2. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    But I have an anecdote for the other side too. Back when nobody had heard of the 19, the main city school across the street from me closed for about two weeks -- unheard of here. A couple of other schools in the state not near here were doing the same/ The gossip here was people were getting sick and the school was going to be scrubbed down. Then they went back in session for just a few days, and at that point the governor's order came down to close all schools due to 19. Everybody you talk to had something, including me... There may have been an unreported virulent cold or mild flu running in parallel

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 3:55 AM
    Greyandridin likes this.
  3. Goldenboy

Goldenboy . XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

OK, maybe, but these young, healthy people in their mid 30's were on a cruise in Europe, a cruise to several Nordic countries, and became sick on the vessel after being quarantined. If you do get it, you will know, as the flu-like symptoms are accompanied by a terrible headache, the worst body aches and extreme fatigue. These were the most common symptoms. And do you remember the report on how many cruise ships were landing at different ports across the globe at any given time? Then these people connected with planes to their final destinations. This was the first known way the virus traveled. And, coincidentally, yesterday a Google news flash said Norwegian Cruise Lines filed for bankruptcy. But people in nursing homes are isolated and it will take some time for them to come in contact with someone, through a series of events. Once that happens, some have next to no defense. As one of Gary's postings said, they believed the virus quickly spread through those most active and least vulnerable, and was most deadly to those least active and most vulnerable. As for the unreported virulent cold or mild flu, I experienced those symptoms in early December, went to my doctor at the clinic. Two people had dry coughs, and I asked where the masks were. There were none out for the patients. I was swabbed and tested negative for the flu. These symptoms slowly subsided in me before I became very sick on January 5th and finally felt better 6 weeks later. As the first cases were reported in this country in early March, they said people were getting mild flu-like symptoms and weeks later, some would either recover or suddenly get worse, having to go on respirators. I remember this, because it was the most alarming news about COVID-19 early on, before it was declared a pandemic.

gggGary and Greyandridin like this.
  4. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    ^can you get antibody tests there?

gggGary and Greyandridin like this.
  5. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Don't know about NJ but just this Wednesday wife and I had the test for antibodies at our doctors office. Have not heard of results yet.

Doubt either of us will show positive but you never know with all the reports of asymptomatic people.

If headaches, body aches and fatigue are the common symptoms then I have had it for around a year, or maybe that is just the symptoms of getting old!

Well just checked with doctor's portal and it says negative, but then if you read the long disclaimer paragraph makes you wonder how good a test it actually is!

- This test has not been reviewed by the FDA. Negative
    - results do not rule out SARS-CoV-2 infection particularly
    - in those who have been in contact with the virus.
    - Follow-up testing with a molecular diagnostic should be
    - considered to rule out infection in these individuals.
    - Results from antibody testing should not be used as the
    - sole basis to diagnose or exclude SARS-CoV-2 infection
    - or to inform infection status. Positive results could
    - also be due to past or present infection with
    - non-SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus strains, such as coronavirus
    - HKU1, NL63, OC43, or 229E. This test is not to be used
    - for the screening of donated blood.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 12:06 PM
  6. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

ATTENTION CANADIANS - important notice from the federal ministry of health.

B5625B41-33E1-4913-BB33-DF05739E9C42.jpeg

7. Goldenboy

It's not available in wide numbers and depending when you are infected some tests may not be sensitive enough to pick up trace amounts of antibodies. My beliefs are based on educated guesses and anecdotal evidence because, as far as I'm concerned, it's still every man for himself. And depending on where you live and how you act or overreact will make things more difficult, possibly unnecessarily

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 10:29 PM
    Greyandridin, gggGary and madmax-im like this.
  8. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    The test in my state has a lot of false positives. I learned today that here if you test positive for antibodies, you're just called a "probable positive", and then only if you're had contact with somebody who was actually diagnosed positive.

Greyandridin, gggGary and Goldenboy like this.
  9. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    It's been pretty calm here. Restrictions have mainly been just suggestions. The only exception besides closing business is no groups larger than 10, and of course they enforce that where it's easy to enforce, mainly churches, and there has been lots of backlash. There is no such thing as an emergency that overrides the Constitution.

Should add we've had 6 cases diagnosed in our county, all of them recovered, plus one case of the childhood inflammatory syndrome they're discovering now

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 6:28 PM
  10. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- "A Great Clips hair stylist in Springfield has tested positive for COVID-19 and worked several days while symptomatic."
    Yeah... they had the symptoms and worked anyway.... for "several" days.

"The individual worked at Great Clips at 1864 S. Glenstone Ave. during the following dates and times:

Tuesday, May 12 (8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.)
    Wednesday, May 13 (8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
    Thursday, May 14 (12 p.m. - 6 p.m.)
    Friday, May 15 (1 p.m. - 6 p.m.)
    Saturday, May 16 (8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
    Sunday, May 17 (10 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
    Tuesday, May 19 (12 p.m. - 6 p.m.)
    Wednesday, May 20 (12 p.m. - 6 p.m.)"

Link.

Kinda hard to fix stupid. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 9:23 PM
  11. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    I assume they're they mean she worked with congestion or a fever. Truth is, you yourself are symptomatic at this very moment. If you have a temperature, or a headache, or a body ache, or diarrhea, or constipation, or nausea, or a runny nose, or a sore throat, or even if you don't feel bad at all, you're symptomatic for Covid-19... You do realize feeling fine is the most common symptom. :)

lakeview and gggGary like this.
  12. Goldenboy

I hope your case levels remain low.
    A pharmacist in Bergen County was diagnosed during the first week. That's when they thought that tracing might prevent further spread.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 10:32 PM
  13. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Went looking into antibody testing results parts of New Yawk were up in the 20% range most other places <2%
    That kinda surprised me. Like said by Golden boy hard to decide if the tests have much meaning.
    Funny how when it was your or my business going bankrupt the governors were all gotta protect the people at any cost.
    When the state's financial reporting started showing THEY were going bankrupt, and the Feds said uh nope we ain't bailing your out, reopening became OK.
    My county hasn't reported a case in 5 days We've had 3 deaths a figure that hasn't changed in a month. We "reopened" a week ago. So Jury is out yet.
    Mask wearing is very common in stores.
    Painful to see all the FIB plates at the State Park......

14. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

I bet the local businesses don't mind taking the FIBs money.:boxing:

15. xjwmx

U.S.A.
  16. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I'm not so sure. The locals all around, are justifiably pretty worried about this. We have only had 77 cases, 3 deaths, no cases last 5 days. Rock county, just across border from IL is getting hit "hard".... Case increases, death rate, currently worst in state.
    Some of the Dells resorts are opening, scary that! Earlier the Dells seasonal foreign workers, housing area got hit, mostly young so no deaths but that is about 1/4 of all cases in our county.

thuban, Greyandridin, Jim and 3 others like this.
  17. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

It's almost normal here. I see more people without masks than with. Restaurants are open with some limitations for groups greater than 10.

thuban, Greyandridin, Jim and 3 others like this.
  18. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Sorry - what does FIB mean?

Greyandridin, Jim and GLJ like this.
  19. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

It's term of "endearment" Cheese-heads call people from Illinois.
    Translated to Canadian it means "F@cking Illinois Bastard".

MaxPete, thuban, Greyandridin and 3 others like this.
  20. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Here ya go.... wise words from a wise governor..... a republican at that. ;)

Goldenboy, MaxPete, lakeview and 4 others like this.