1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gggGary, Feb 28, 2020.

1. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

I know I'm not an expert of any kind but I think this governor is miss understanding to some extent the reasoning for wearing a mask. The way I understand it is the majority of the function of the mask is NOT to prevent you from contacting the virus, but is to reduce the spread of the virus from the person wearing it.

Say if you are a non-symptomatic carrier of covid the mask would help limit the area the virus spreads to when you exhale. There by limiting to some extent the chance you will pass it on to someone else. If someone has information saying it is more for acting as an incoming filter I would like to see that information.

2. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Your spot on !

3. Goldenboy

Goldenboy . XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I just found my primary care physician in the paper, today. He died April 3rd. I also talked to a 6th neighbor who's wife was sick in January. She recuperated at home after a week. Dr Ferreras died at home after being sick for a week. Like my doctor, she is from the Phillipines. Unless you are having an emergency, you stay away from clinics. That's why I didn't know about my doctor. More emphasis on the information disclosed in these publications will probably be put to public scrutiny after our presidential election.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    GLJ, gggGary, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  4. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    Whitmer's summer cottage isn't too far from where I live. There were a lot of social media posts about how she had an open house for her daughter this past weekend, with pictures showing a bunch of cars in her driveway. The owner of the dock company had posted a comment online whereby he said when Whitmer's husband asked if his boat could be launched in time for Memorial weekend, the dock co. owner said there was a 3 week delay due to the lockdown orders. Whitmer's husband then said "would it make a difference if I am the governors husband". The owner didn't say anything but posted online he made the comment "that would guarantee your boat will be the last to launch". A lot of people hate Whitmer in N. Michigan.

5. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

thuban, MaxPete, Goldenboy and 3 others like this.
  6. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Sprained Ankle Top Contributor

From this coming Monday in Wales UK we are allowed to travel within a 5 mile radius from our homes. For me this is good: 6mile stretch of motorway, 5 mile stretch of another motorway and a good 15 mile round trip if I go 5.4 mile radius at one point - not my fault the road goes the wrong direction....
    This is well timed for my new disc pads that should arrive Monday.

thuban, MaxPete, Greyandridin and 5 others like this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

yeah I'm watching state and county pretty much daily. My county (65,000) has had ONE new case in the past two weeks. The results from the Memorial day weekend hoards won't be in for another week yet. Devils Lake State Park (next door) draws a million visitors a year. But that's nothing compared to the Wisconsin Dells 12 miles away. The state run Circus world Museum 3 miles away will not open this year.

thuban, Paul Sutton, MaxPete and 5 others like this.
  8. Goldenboy

In light of what's going on, this could be another example of natural selection. I talk to my friend from Wisconsin on an almost daily basis. I asked him about his area, Albany, an hour or so west of Milwaukee. He says, "We live in the corn, and I don't go out to restaurants, now, and we have a freezer full of meat and fish. When we do go out, for milk and eggs, we wear masks. Everybody does. We're putting in a garden, this year and all the supplies are sold out. Everyone's got the same idea." Then I spoke to my brother in Jersey. He told me he talked to his doctor for approval for the antibody test.The doctor told him if someone has been exposed and actually got the virus, but only had mild symptoms, it's most likely that they did not build up antibodies to the virus and are still susceptible to getting the full blown disease. Also, there were a lot of other things going around this winter with similar symptoms to COVID and people should get tested, rather than assume they had it and are now immune. But, the doctor also said they're not expecting a huge spike in cases, again, like we've seen. After my brother went through his doctor to get approval for the antibody test, I saw the antibody test is now readily available, without going through your doctor for clearance. There is still a limited supply, though.

Attached Files:

9. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    thuban, buzzword, Goldenboy and 4 others like this.
  10. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Wow! To see the exponential growth of that starting about mid March is stunning! That really puts things in perspective! Thanks.

thuban, Paul Sutton, buzzword and 3 others like this.
  11. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

....good song...

Paul Sutton and Goldenboy like this.
  12. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    Paul Sutton likes this.
  13. Goldenboy

Test result from my brother's antibody test came back negative. I will get the test, eventually, but still question it's usefulness and sensitivity. Even with antibodies detected, medical experts don't really know if you can get reinfected, again. Without a reliable vaccine, everything is up in the air.

buzzword and gggGary like this.
  14. wannabridin

wannabridin XS650 Guru

Everything will continue to stay up in the air for years as this is all new still. My buddies (a PhD toxicologist and a cancer researcher) and I were having a zoom chat the other night and discussing Covid and decided that it's going to be around annually, likely forever. Just like the flu, as our medical controls improve, it will become normalized and we'll become desensitized to it.

The main thing we (as an intelligent and humble species) can do is remain steadfast to the scientific method and trust those in the know. Be skeptical, only trust valid sources and do what's best for EVERYONE, not what's best for YOU.

15. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

16. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

17. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Posted on 3-31-20

Goldenboy, Jim, MaxPete and 1 other person like this.
  18. MaxPete

...and for the Canadian sports fans who had booked travel on a Canadian airline....
    [​IMG]

For non-Canadian sportsfans, the gentleman with the gray hair is our ineffectual Minister of Transport - former astronaut the Hon. Marc Garneau - who is NOT requiring Canadian airlines to refund the ticket purchase price in cash to Canadians for cancelled trips. However, American and European travellers who booked on Canadian carriers are receiving cash refunds - because their governments are requiring it.

Instead, Canadians are getting a very nice “travel voucher” valid for 24 months on a future flight (of course, the future flight will be much more costly - so, we will still have to pay more cashola). Needless to say, the voucher is non-transferable to anyone else and cannot be combined - so basically, we have to travel in the future AND pay whatever these bandits wish to charge at that time - or we lose all the money we’ve paid to not travel now.

Boy, am I ever glad I allowed my dear wife to talk me into that snazzy trip to the Yukon this summer. That’s about $4000 down the sh!tter.

Scumbags.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  19. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    But it is still lower than many countries that went into forced lockdown, e.g. 400 per million vs 500 per million for the U.K. And they retained their economy. Their strategy is taken politically for some reason, like people gleeful about it failing