Couch Fishing

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
My Cat Sweetie Puss died from Diabetes on Christmas Eve. I couldn`t bring myself to share that bummer in another post here on this site at that time but I still have one left. "Harry". Last night he never came when he was called (never does) and when I finally found him in the junk room behind the garage he had been couch fishing.:yikes: He`s still learning the ropes?:thumbsup:
harry 001.JPG

Thanks everyone. I was lucky to have some good pictures and even better memories of her.:thumbsup:
Pic 1 motorcycle guard duty
XS650 Seat 002.JPG
Pic 2 Making sure my mechanics chair didn`t float away.
XS650 Seat 018-001.JPG
Pic 3 Less than thrilled with the new hat Glenda made for her.
sweetie puss-crate 002.JPG

image.jpeg I had trained my dogs to respond to ground squirrel chirps by me to get their attention and then pointing with my index finger to show which way we were going when doing walkabouts on the property, eliminating human voice commands altogether. When I wanted them near I'd chirp to get their attention and then wiggle my hand, not unlike a Whitetail flicking it's tail. Natural sounds, natural movement. What a stealth team we were! I loved roaming with the dogs but time takes its toll. Buster, our tripod, passed first a few years ago and then DeeDee passed. Phoebe is still here but mostly deaf with failing eyesight. She's now a "hangs around the fort" dog.

A couple years ago a stray grey cat adopted us. One of those Russian blue colored cats. We'd chase her off but she was determined to keep us and we finally resolved to be her people. Momma Missy gave us a litter of ki'ins of which we kept three. Before we could get her fixed she gave us another litter. We kept three here too but got everybody fixed before we had more. Seven cats, good gawd...... They have free roam outside and are brought in when the weather is bad. They have almost eliminated the varmints that were plaguing us. Mice in the pigeon feed? Gone. Chipmunks digging around the foundation? Gone. Squirrels in the fruit and nut trees and rabbits in the garden have been minimized, though the Possums, skunks and coons get a watchful pass to our chagrin. Must be dog work to keep them at bay, it's in their union contract I guess.

Walkabouts. Now I have kitty friends on my walkabouts. A couple of the toms in particular will follow me when I step out. I don't encourage them but I'll be heading down slope and then hear a meow behind me. Looking back here will be one following. I enjoy their company but they sure ain't dogs. If I chirp to get their attention they may look. If I point in the direction that I'll be going they look at my finger. When they get tired they lay down until I hoist them on my shoulders around my neck like a live kitty collar and continue on, them content to hang there. It's nuts. Love it.

Last edited:
Back