Could a washer destroy a bike?

Hey Peanut,

Thanks for the breakdown, sorry for the mix up but yes if I push the bike in first with the clutch pulled in then the engine still turns over. When I start the engine, I can pull the clutch in and use it as normal, however its clunks while taking off in first.

1. 1978, import from Japan with one front caliper (which I believe is what was sent to the US) The vin number is 447901xxx
2. 7 Friction and 6 steel plates
3. I have a single long push rod,
4. the bearings are on both side. (one on worm gear, other clutch basket push thing)
5 . Bearing check
6. ill get a picture of the worm gear tomorrow.

Does this give you something to work with?

AussieXS, your vid in post #137 looks like the typical sticking clutch.

1st vid in post #138 shows the proper amount of pressure plate movement. Compare to the vids in post #1 in this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/yamaha-xs650-experimental-clutch.47498/

Your clutch assembly sequence in vid #2 of post #138 looks fine.

If all you're experiencing is "stuck clutch", "clutch drag", and "clutch slip", then the usual cure is a new set of friction plates, 7 in your case...

Your clutch assembly sequence in vid #2 of post #138 looks fine.

If all you're experiencing is "stuck clutch", "clutch drag", and "clutch slip", then the usual cure is a new set of friction plates, 7 in your case...

well you have better eyes that I 2M it looked like there was an extra washer there somewhere but I confess I found it difficult to see in the gloom.

I have just realised that we are exactly back at where this thread began nearly a year ago. We have already gone all through this in some detail last year groan....:doh:

Yes, I found that out yesterday, going through all the thread that we are going in circles a bit but we still haven't gotten a conclusion of why this happening? :doh:

Today is a day of spending, new clutch plates. However, the plates have plenty left on them, so what is causing them to stick, there is plenty of oil on them? 2M, I saw on your post here http://www.xs650.com/threads/yamaha-xs650-experimental-clutch.47498/ and that looks amazing but far beyond my skills and workshop (garage under my flat). Will new plates automatically make the clutch part like the red sea? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
A lot of information being thrown about, (not bad info all helpfull), just seems to be a lot of it is not in sequence and could be a little confusing trying to follow several different people when they are on different/similar tracks..........

maybe start another thread and re-post the information in some sort of order..............

i would not buy new plates if the old are within tolerance and not burnt.........

If you want to PM me i can post what i know in sequence.............

Yes, that is a good idea. I will post all the information in a new thread tonight, with all the pictures and videos in a sequence that makes sense to everyone along with a nice write up. That way, a new person can come in and follow along and fix the problem when it arises. Because we are all obviously going to get to the bottom of this and sort it out! Keep posted, ill copy the link to the new thread when started.

Although I haven't encountered it myself, I have read several times here about clutch plates that just went bad and would stick like yours. They weren't worn out, worn too thin, they just got sticky. New plates solved the issue.

5Twins, you probably saved me a long write up because I believe you're correct. Deciding that I need new friction plates, I thought to "play" with my old ones. Firstly I sanded the friction plate faces with 400grit. I then got the bench grinder on ever flange of the friction plates, ever so lightly, so to smooth them out for easy sliding. That removed any rough patch and appears to of worked. Now I do realise the flanges are probably to thin and will rattle in the cage but hey I am getting new ones and it gives me an idea of whether new plates will sort it. Below is video of what seems like my functioning clutch. I will put it all back together and see if it works. I did however tighten the worm gear probably a full turn in after it stuck, normal settings saw no change in plate movement.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g2-P7n30ibtJOPDEH5-F3WadxxqIdLqd

I just had to open this thread back up. I removed the tach drive from the side case today and started laughing to myself. Glenda was in the shop and ask what`s so funny? My reply was you had to read the whole thing to get the point. Her reply was let me guess; it was something on that motorcycle forum right? End of conversation but it served as a good reminder to make sure to remove the washer!:thumbsup:
washer 001.JPG

Back