Could I save it?

73 tx650-xs650 resto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Found this old 73 yamaha tx650 in Michigan been in a barn for 20 some years has the crust and animal hair too prove it also strange has a full length antenna that doesn't seem to be factory but fits very well on the left side of forks an one cool vintage twin seat an only showing about 16,xxx original miles didn't start an stored engine still free I maybe think this old gem could come alive only thing I need a title :/ how is it could i get one to make this streetable along with getting it running? What do you think?

Attachments

• DSC_0136.JPG
    DSC_0136.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_0132.JPG
    DSC_0132.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC_0138.JPG
    DSC_0138.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC_0137.JPG
    DSC_0137.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC_0139.JPG
    DSC_0139.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0135.JPG
    DSC_0135.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_0134.JPG
    DSC_0134.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 230
If memory serves, in the republik of New York State, vehicles 1973 and prior do not require a title. All you'd need to register it here is a bill of sale. Then you could transfer it to Ohio, and they'd give you your title. Yes, it is an old gem. Rusty and crusty, but I've seen worse. (I own worse....)

That looks like a perfect bike to restore to original with some modern upgrades such as a voltage regulator and rectifier.

My 1976 XS650C was in just about that shape when I got her and since last summer, I’ve put about 4000 miles on her. The key issues are to sort out the electrics and get the fuel system cleaned. All of the necessary parts and supplies are readily available at low cost and this forum has people who have done all of the necessary tasks many times. Just ask, and help will be given!

Looks like you’ve got yourself a ballgame there!

Pete

Michigan is one of the easiest states for lost title. The only thing is; they rape you on sales tax. You will pay based on a "bluebook" value not what you actually paid for it. So you will want to look into title cost before starting work, it might help to have a ratty hulk to present to DMV to argue value. o_O :cautious: :unsure: Oops I see YOU are in Ohio that may be even better. I have a couple Ohio titled bikes, they were pretty simple and less expensive than Michigan but it's been a while since I checked.
You have my "OFFICIAL" permission to do whatever you would like with that bike. The amount of rust and other patina has made "re$toration" nonviable. Carefully check the rear seam on that gas tank, that original 73 tank was prone to leaks there. Yamaha had a replacement campaign on them. You might want to read up on "256 motor" before going wild on engine work.

If memory serves, in the republik of New York State, vehicles 1973 and prior do not require a title. All you'd need to register it here is a bill of sale. Then you could transfer it to Ohio, and they'd give you your title. Yes, it is an old gem. Rusty and crusty, but I've seen worse. (I own worse....)
Unfortunately, in NYS, altho no titles existed before '73, you need an Transferrable Registration, and to get one of those, you need Proof Of Ownership, which is very difficult to prove ("impossible", many people say) So, most folks in this situation get such a TR from Vermont, first. Its not easy, but straight-forward, and can be done by mail. He's a link:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-get-proof-of-ownership-for-a-bike-w-no-title.655441/

That being said, I did manage to get it done in NYS for my RD350 through persistence and tons of photos and the proper forms.

You have my "OFFICIAL" permission to do whatever you would like with that bike. The amount of rust and other patina has made "re$toration" nonviable.
I would restore it with a lot of rust on the chrome and sell it to be somebody else's project to restore more completely, maybe somebody who already had parts.

It's a labor of love. At the 2016 Meltdown (Hendersonville, NC), I saw Hugh of Hugh's Handbuilt riding an XS-1B. He said it had been left leaning against a barn for 20 years. That's exactly how it looked, DEPLORABLE. Yet, he described how he took it on a couple of long trips. The giveaway was new gaskets visible on the engine. That TX looks far better than that XS-1B. I have a couple of very ugly bikes in my basement. I am inspired to ride them ugly.

True. It's unlikely that there's a return on investment for a restoration.

If you want to ride it, there's certainly no shame in it. If anybody doesn't get it, just say it's a Fong Bros. product and cost $10,000.

I knew a guy who had a Ford Cortina and he was restoring it as he drove it, like a hobby. He was doing it in the order mechanicals, then the interior, then the exterior. I'd love to have something like an early Corvette in deplorable condition except for the mechanicals. To my way of thinking, it's pretty classy.

Back