could old tank 'splode?

soooo, the tank never did explode, however I did burn a hole in it. Fixing to find out just how wonderful JB Weld is, or ain't.
damn....

I wouldn't do that, pal. Don't trust JB Weld to keep you safe.

Got a propane or acetylene torch? Go to the hardware store and get two or three brazing rods, some flux and some acetone. Clean the burned area good with acetone, grind down any lumpy edge, taker the surrounding metal down to bare metal with coarse sandpaper. Clean it again with acetone.

Go online and watch some of the You Tube videos on how to braze. Get a small piece of thin steel to use as a patch. You can cut one from a stout tin can. Clean it, rough it up with coarse sandpaper, clean it again.

Braze the patch over the hole. Your heat shouldn't burn through the tank. Sand down the lumpy stuff with a coarse sanding disk or flap wheel. Put some water in the tank and see if your patch leaks. If so, fix it and smooth it again.

Go to You Tube again and watch videos on using Bondo putty to fix a dent. Dry out the tank good, spread a little Bondo over the patch, sand it smooth (before it gets too hard!!) then paint the tank.

ok, cool..thx! gonna check out some Youtubes now. So you think a propane torch would suffice? I have one now with a MAP gas bottle on it, but have a Propane bottle, too.

Yup. Brazing is often used to repair gas tanks and radiators. Bicycle frames are usually brazed (where the tubes slip into a connector joint).

Practice, Grasshopper.

A propane torch or even with mapp gas won't get hot enough to braze with. You need a torch with an oxygen bottle to get the heat you need.
The kits that use the mapp gas size bottles for gas and oxygen work good. They use a lot of oxygen to do the job. The gas will last hours, the oxygen about 20 minutes. They have them at Lowes or TSC for around $65 for the kit. Get a couple extra oxygen bottles.
For an occasional patch like you have on your tank the kit works good. If you do lots of brazing a regular acetylene oxygen torch set, cutting torch, will serve you better.
I have both types. The acetylene torch can cut as well as weld.

Leo, I agree on the versatility of an oxy-acetylene rig. And thanks, I should have said you can braze with propane-oxygen, not just a regular propane torch.

Here's a link showing that:

Back