Counter shaft front Sprocket Nut loose??

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have had this nut come loose a few times now and decided to use my impact gun this time
as holding the brake down while tightening or torquing the nut to 90 lbs was awkward !
Not sure how tight it is now but I doubt its coming loose now!!
Can anything be damged by over tightening the nut? I dont think my Cheap China Impact
is capable of more than 110 lbs give or take.

yes, new washer and the nut on correctly also. I find that the Mikes xs sprockets fit could have
tighter tolerance on the splined shaft.Could be why they come loose but not sure.I also used
a dab of blue lock tight on the threads this time. I just hope I didn't damage anything or the internal
bearings when impacting the big nut on.Got frustrated when I saw the nut loose again!

I use a torque wrench on that nut, but in my working years, when I had less time to fiddle with things, I knocked it down with the buzz gun several times. That's not the best practice, but no problems resulted. To make things less awkward with the torque wrench, put the bike in gear and jam a rag between the chain and the sprocket.

I work the torque wrench while seated on the bike, rear brake applied. It's always worked pretty easily for me like that.

Next time, clean the nut and the shaft real good and use a dot of fresh blue locktite and torque to spec. Then you'll need the gun to get it off. If you block it with a rag, put it as the rear sprocket, otherwise it jams the chain into the shift shaft guard. If you have cast wheels, you can put a stick or a long wrench through the wheel and let it rest on the swingarm on both sides, which is what I do. Works fine, just don't put it where the air valve is.

Getting the washer centered just right while putting on the nut is VERY fiddly. Confirm the nut has the sprocket under tension with finger tightening, proving the washer is where it should be before going all king kong. I have found low miles XS650's with the factory bend on the washer, and THEY had a loose sprocket....

Last edited:
Thx Guys for the tips, doubt its coming off now with locktite and Impact gun! But...
I did make sure the washer/spacer was in correctly, used a dab of grease to hold it in place.
Griz,great info on installing and I feel better knowing I probably didn't break anything or worse, move a bearing .

Back