Couple of questions on my '84

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this non-runner in '14, it had started to be changed to a tracker with the rear hoop cut off and a fiberglass seat installed. Was missing the exhaust and front fender. I had it fired briefly last summer on the bench. I had the hoop welded back on as it came with the bike and I had a nice new clip on seat for it and a bunch of other stock parts. Has mag wheels with a drum rear brake. Seller found it in a property he bought, so no back story. I got a fresh title for it by affidavit.

I am partially dismantling it to clean and so on, pulled off the left cover and see that the stator looks like a time capsule. Some beige paint covers the screw at 5 o'clock. Does anyone know if it came from the factory like that or is it typical of after market. The empty points cover looks like it never had a screw driver on it so I am guessing this has never been apart. Compression dry ish with carbs on and blocked open is about 130 and 119. Someone coated the head and barrels with black wrinkle paint. I have the black carbs that came with it to clean and install.

The other question I have is about the swing arm bolt. The small nut end has gotten blued and you can see that the sleeve has wear points and a line of blue colour just inboard of the bushings. Is the latter a manufacturing result; I cannot imagine how a swing arm interior would get blued from heat.

If any of you want to comment on the rotor and the bluing on the swing arm bits, I am all ears.

Attachments

• SAM_3120.jpg
    SAM_3120.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 217
  • SAM_3111.jpg
    SAM_3111.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 242
  • SAM_3123.JPG
    SAM_3123.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 225
  • SAM_3112.JPG
    SAM_3112.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 223
  • SAM_3114.jpg
    SAM_3114.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 247
  • SAM_3117.jpg
    SAM_3117.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 211
This is definitely not my arena, but I'll play anyway.

The copper braid wiring for the brushes is routed over the tip of the hold-downs, not alongside as seen on all other brush pics. Is that correct? At 19,500 km, should check them anyhoo.

The trigger coil unit is affixed with screws. Didn't these come as rivited, with a bulletin showing the refit/replacement procedure using screws?

I can't see any JIS dots on the three screws for the cam endcover. Any JIS markings on these and other screws?

Check the degree of filth on the inner case surfaces behind the stator housing. Compare that to the stator housing.

The bluing of the pivot shaft could indicate tempering. Would need to do a "file test" of the middle section, and bush area, then compare.

More detective work could be fun. Check all nuts and boltheads for wrench signs, curls of metal behind lockwashers. Routing and chafing of wiring and cables. Cleaner things alongside dirty things. Replaced and non-stock parts...

Beige paint probably from the factory as I have an '81 engine, or one of them out there, with the same. On the screws to the pickup.....riveted on the '81 engine but screw heads on the '83. Yeah, the cam end cover screws looked to be unmolested. Definitely have the JIS driver bits and an impact wrench for those.

Thanks for the suggestions, a JIS driver set was an early purchase, but I do not intend to open the motor unless I have to.
The wiring is still fastened with factory bands.
Thanks 2M for the other things to keep in mind.
I see that I have a black fenders front and rear in my shed, fwiw.
Not really a fan of the "murdered out" look though, but a purchaser might be.

The stator is factory Yamaha part. The brushes installed wrong as 2M suggested. Using the inner brush as an example. Braided wire soldered on left side should wrap side opposite not the ends. This insures the proper slack on spring side once installed.

Don't trust the mileage, that speedo is from another country, (Canada, Europe, Oceania), as it is KPH not MPH. so not original. It will read right with the speedo drive.

4M4 is 81SH, (ID Code), and the frame looks to have the lugs for the lower plastic covers, they were on the 82/83 Heritage Specials.

A caution on those swing arm bolts, they snap at the base of the threads where the rod has been turned down............. Ask me how i know.

Engine case's were black from the Factory on the 82/83 Heritage specials.

Non Black carbs........Maybe the motor has been built using 2 different motors from an 81 and 82/83

For historical interest, the neck sticker says it was built 12/83, the VIN is JYA5V5009EA0404xx.
I am in Canada so the metric speedo is correct, black carbs came with it which I will clean and reinstall.
Thanks for the heads up on the brush wiring.
Is there a consensus that the forks would have had black lowers from the factory?

In the US black fork lowers and fenders were 82 only, maybe Fredintoon can weigh in I think he has a canadian Heritage special.

In the US black fork lowers and fenders were 82 only, maybe Fredintoon can weigh in I think he has a canadian Heritage special.

Hi Gary,
yes, that looks just like mine. Same metric speedo and sun-faded tach red line.
Chrome fenders & polished lowers are stock.
Lakeview's bike is missing the black plastic cover over the 'bar clamps that has a chrome "Heritage Special" logo on it although it does have the steering head cap nut with the tapped hole in it (there's a screw in his) to hold it on.
Count your teeth. My bike left the factory with 17/36 sprockets. Perfect for pulling a sidecar but a bit buzzy otherwise.
Paint-sealed stator screw is stock.
Swingarm pivot blueing is a mystery to me also.
Best replace the stock M14 ended thrubolt with the M16 ended upgrade.
The original's reduced diameter threaded end has been known to snap off in flight.

If you look closely at the brush holder, you will see they actually provided grooves for the wires to pass through on both outer edges .....

LateBrushesOutsideLabeled.jpg

This is something I wasn't even aware of but now, looking at my own, I see the outer is wrong, lol .....

EarlyBrushMountLabeled.jpg

Thanks Fred, my sprocket count is the same.

I did not know what that cross thread screw was doing there, certainly looked out of place. I have hit it with some magic oil so I can remove it later. I have seen that plaque in a box of orphan parts so it is here somewhere.

Good to know about the natural colour fork lowers and the chrome fenders. I am not a stickler for correctness, but if I have the right part, I will use it.

Cheers

Last edited:
For historical interest, the neck sticker says it was built 12/83, the VIN is JYA5V5009EA0404xx.
I am in Canada so the metric speedo is correct, black carbs came with it which I will clean and reinstall.
Thanks for the heads up on the brush wiring.
Is there a consensus that the forks would have had black lowers from the factory?

Didn't realize GTA was in Canada. Makes the speedo correct, as you say, and the Vin also. Mag wheels with drum brake rear was Canadian heritage Special factory wheels

Factory forks would have been alloy and all chrome, no black except the motor was with alloy polished engine sidecovers and tappet covers with the 650 emblems on the chrome cam covers. I have a Canadian 83 heritage Special Dealer new to NZ in 83. It has 03 ****** on the Vin where yours has 04 ******

Only color pic i have. About 20 years ago

Attachments

• XS 650 Kane Me copy.jpg
    XS 650 Kane Me copy.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Yes that's it, the side cover has the oil check window, too.

The other 84 I have in pieces bought as an abandoned project ownership says "red", VIN is about 20 digits away from this one, but got no tins at all with it.

I do have an orphan pair of plastic side covers in maroon with a gold pin stripe but someone has cut scallops in them, looks like to clear some non-stock carb arrangement, I will post a pic later just for interest sake.

Picture of maroon plastic side covers believed to be an '84 colour for the historians. I don't think they came from Japan with that scallop, but it is nicely done and finished.

Attachments

• SAM_3155.JPG
    SAM_3155.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 185
  • SAM_3156.JPG
    SAM_3156.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 192
  • SAM_3157.JPG
    SAM_3157.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 186
Hiya Lakeview, I'm about 45 minutes from you and have an 84 heritage special that I'm parting out and have oem parts, side covers, tapped covers with 650 emblems, steering head nut cover with heritage special logo, etc.
PM me if you need anything.

Picture of maroon plastic side covers believed to be an '84 colour for the historians. I don't think they came from Japan with that scallop, but it is nicely done and finished.
Hi lakeview,
my '84 Heritage Special came in black although the tank has gold double pinstripe-outlined panels coloured in so dark a burgundy that you'd have to look hard in strong sunlight to see that it wasn't black. The burgundy on your sidepanels is a lot lighter, like they were trying for Triumph Amaranth Red.
And no, my sidepanels don't have those cut-outs, nor my son's '80 Special neither. Musta been a PO wanting pod clearance?
And Skull, GTA = Greater Toronto Area. Like in Medieval Europe, where the peasants built their shacks near to a city but outside it's walls.

Established 4 week ago .....................post #7............
Yes, post #7 did say that the GTA was in Canada. Surprises me you'd forgotten that by the time of your post #12.
Being a helpful fellow, I thought you'd appreciate knowing what the letters meant.

Don't f*****g tell me what i have and haven't forgotten or whatever Stay out of my posts..................My conversations/posts were with not directed to you.............Post count Fred.

Back