Couple of questions

Poverty

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys . picked up a 74/5 xs the other day (been 5ish years since my last xs650 lol) and im having some issues. The carbs flood and pour gas everywhere ..the floats are not stuck . Mikuni round slides . no biggie i figure they just need cleaned . and im getting enough gas to the cylinders it sgould attempt to fire. Its kick only so checking for actual spark is a pain in the ass .But i have a buddy on the way over to help ..the electrical has a combination of switches ..and seems to be sound but it has one of those four cell balistic batterys and it is absolutely dead as hell . could this be a issue ? I figure the kick would overcome a dead battery but day two with no progress . before i juat take it to a shop .Anyone have any ideas or procedures i can go thru .

Attachments

• 20190317_132119_HDR.jpg
    20190317_132119_HDR.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 123
If it's the stock charging system.... no, it won't start without a good battery.

If the bike still has a factory ignition and charging system then yes, you will need some battery power to make the ignition function. Just kicking it won't generate enough power to do so.

Checking for spark is super easy, just pop the left alternator cover, rotate the motor with a wrench and no need to kick it anymore. (granted, you still need a battery)....while you're there, you can check your timing too--Bonus! :)

Back