1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Crabby's Build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CrabbyCustoms, Jan 7, 2020.

1. CrabbyCustoms

CrabbyCustoms XS650 Enthusiast XS650.com Supporter

Well it looks like I've screwed things up royally. I used Kerosene to flush out the bottom end and found blast media residue, as well i removed the clutch cover and there are traces inside. I guess I didn't mask it off as well as I thought i did. I'm assuming the engine has zero tolerance for glass bead:sick:

The beads seem so minuscule and prolific I can't imagine they can be safely rinsed out. Do you think there is any option other than taking apart the bottom end?

Thanks, Marc.:oops:

2. CrabbyCustoms

CrabbyCustoms XS650 Enthusiast XS650.com Supporter

Hello. It's been a while. As I prepared to separate the XS's bottom end I found a post of 5twins that had an example of a brilliant engine stand for the job.

A1.png A2.png A3.png

But the garage was so cramped I didn't really have space for the job so I built a bike stand hoping to have more room to get at the bike.

A4.jpg
    But it made it even more cramped. I needed to get the touring bike out.

A5.jpg
    So I built a shed for it next to my garage.

A6.jpeg A9.jpeg A11.jpg A10.jpeg

Now I have a bit more space.

A12.jpeg
    So I'm going to attempt to make 5twins engine stand. All the best.

thuban, Rasputin, Raymond and 4 others like this.
  3. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Love the moonshine still on the wall, disguised as a musical instrument.

CrabbyCustoms, Jim and thuban like this.
  4. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I don't think I could get drunk enough to play that! :laugh2:

CrabbyCustoms, Jim and Rasputin like this.
  5. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Funny... I never really made the correlation before. But a still and a water separator both work the same way. pressurized air is passed through some copper tubing and the moisture condenses to the walls of the tubing where it can be drained off. In a still, alcohol steam is passed through some copper tubing and the alcohol condenses to the walls of the tubing where it can be drained off. Identical function... different mediums.

CrabbyCustoms and thuban like this.
  6. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi thuban,
    it's a very fine line to walk, you gotta be drunk enough to think it's a good idea and sober enough to keep your lips pursed.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    CrabbyCustoms and GLJ like this.
  7. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I never thought I'd say it, but maybe there is such a thing as too much shelving, lol.

CrabbyCustoms likes this.
  8. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

It's a finer line than that! I'd have to try it when the ole lady wasn't around. She might think I was trying to kiss her! :laugh:

Edit: Sorry Crabby . Didn't mean to steal your thread. I really need a building like that!

CrabbyCustoms and GLJ like this.