Crankcase Covers - Plating?

girouxmcisaak

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm working on a build from a 1979 XS650, and I'm currently working on polishing all the surfaces up. I've recently hit a speed bump, though.

On the right side crankcase cover, there seems to be some sort of plating on the surface. At first I thought the difference in surfaces was a clearcoat, but I've run it a few times with aircraft paint stripper to no effect. I've also gone through with sanding at various grits, as well as an abrasive disc to no effect. I even tried The Works, hoping to maybe get it off if it was chrome, but all it did was get at the bare aluminum. Any idea what the coating is, or a way to get it off? So far, the only thing that's worked has been a file.

You can see it on the corner in the picture. If it was just there, it wouldn't be so bad, but there's large chunks of it on the cover itself.

Attachments

• Photo Mar 16, 7 07 28 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 16, 7 07 28 PM.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 207
Hi giroux,
my best guess is what you have there is welded up collision damage.
I'd upgrade the oil screen cover with the finned one from MikesXS that has a little Honda oil filter in it and either live with the best you can do with the outer cover or look for a replacement.

I'll agree with the chrome guess. To bad it didn't all peel. In the long run it might be easier/cheaper to just buy another set of cases?

Back