1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Crankshaft Taper?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Jim

Jim "No...Try not. Do ... or do not. There is no try." Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Anybody ever measure the taper angle of the crankshaft rotor end? I need to make and indexing tool. I could take one of my motors apart I suppose... but ... any of you ever measure one?

gggGary likes this.
  2. gggGary

gggGary Horsepower; just noise 'til the tire hooks up. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

not quite the question you asked but lemme look in the bins I have some "apart" cranks, If I knew last week...............

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Jim likes this.
  3. gggGary

gggGary Horsepower; just noise 'til the tire hooks up. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

4. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

A related question: are the Woodruff keys to fit available anywhere? All Princess Auto had was an 12" length of key stock.

Jim likes this.
  5. gggGary

someone should measure one up.

Jim likes this.
  6. gggGary

7. gggGary

Here's what I came up with
    Set up on the lathe trued to with in .001 measured at the midpoint of the runout.
    .100" in 1.000" of travel. this is side or .200" diameter reduction over an inch
    DSCN3570.JPG

semi related;
    I Ohmed the rotor I pulled off to get lakeside's :whistle: woodruff key dimensions. a "looks good" late model rotor,
    Cold about 28F 4.9 ohms
    room temp 65F 5.5 ohms
    Warmed on wood stove 130F 6.1 ohms
    back outside for a while 39F 5.1 ohms

Man I really want to get a 2 axis DRO set up!

TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman and Jim like this.
  8. Jim

Jim "No...Try not. Do ... or do not. There is no try." Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Thanks Gary :D

lakeview likes this.
  9. gggGary

a few more numbers
    total length of taper 1.11"
    major diameter .97
    minor diameter .76
    these show the angle I came up with. I'll let 2M see if the numbers more or less jive.

DSCN3578.JPG DSCN3577.JPG

10. Jim

Thanks buddy!!

IMG_20190111_165413.jpg

IMG_20190111_165446.jpg

11. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

You guys are amazing. I have machine envy. :D

FB71 and Jim like this.
  12. gggGary

Mailman, MaxPete and Signal like this.
  13. Jim

I set it from the tool slide. My "older than me" Atlas ain't as accurate as yours. Looks like 'bout 5.4°
    Fit is good enough... :rolleyes:

IMG_20190111_202734.jpg

14. Jim

....... jig for verifying timing mark.

IMG_20190111_203731.jpg

IMG_20190111_203750.jpg

Mailman, MaxPete and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  15. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie

Thank you gentlemen for the info on the taper. I want to cut an internal taper but think I will need a smaller boring bar.
    How does you use the jig Jim.

Jim likes this.
  16. Jim

I need to add a pointer.... It's mainly just to verify I didn't screw up when I press the rotor back together.

IMG_20190111_203750.jpg

gggGary, Mailman, Signal and 2 others like this.
  17. Jim

Yeah.... like I know what I'm gonna do from one moment to the next... :confused::rolleyes:

gggGary and Mailman like this.
  18. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Been researching this taper conundrum.
    Such an odd taper, different from tooling and propshaft standards.

Used gggGary's numbers from post #10.
    RotorTaper.jpg

It shows a 10.8° included angle, 5.4° tooling angle.

Ggggary, if you do it with arctan of (.97 - .76) / 1.11 , it'll be close to 5.4°.

I found varieties of motorcycle tapers, 5°, 6°, 7°, 7.5°, 8.5°.
    This one comes close to the 1:5 standard, 11.42° included angle, 5.71° tooling angle.
    Probably should double-check gggGary's measurements.

Then I came across some old references to accessory and pulley tapers,
    calling out an old standard of 3:16.

That's 3/16" per inch, or 2.25" per foot.
    The tooling setup would be 3/32" per inch, or 1.125" per foot.

Which works out to 10.76° included angle, 5.38° tooling angle.

It's so close that I'd hang my hat on it...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    gggGary, Jim and Signal like this.
  19. gggGary

2M to the rescue
    RangerSilver.jpg
    thanks!
    the .100 in 1.00 was much more carefully arrived at, reset and remeasured a couple times, it agreed with the measured angle quite closely. the 1.11" with the 2 diameters were just handheld caliper pulls. :shrug: But i'm just a hacker, better lucky than skilled I guess.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.