CRASH BARS.... ! they work

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Three weeks ago we had a blast of winter... snow..snow and cold... then early last week.. what we call Indian summer.. high 70's... snow pretty much gone.... Great time to finish putting away the summer toys.
Last satruday I pour gas treatment in the old 45 WLA and fired it up. This would be the last ride of the season since the weather clowns harking gloom and doom. Off to the weekly BS session. I quickly noticed the streets shimmered with surface wetness. Seen this many times.. a cold spell and water freezes... then warm temps allow the moisture to rise.
Got to the watering hole....and one of the guys mentioned his bike got " loose " twice on the way in. After much BS was bantered about I headed for the barn deciding to take the city streets. Sitting at a light... it turned green.. I turned.. maybe 2-3 mpg and the rear wheel swung out.. caught. then high sided to the right.
I'm slammed to the pavement.... I remember my helmet hitting pretty hard. I stand up and my ribs are killing me. Looking down the old Harley is on its side.. still running.. in gear.... I bend over... grab tank shifter.. pop it in neutral... swing out the side stand and lift the bike... My ribs are SCREAMING .... ! ! The 5-6 people who gathered... no help. I walk around.. old bike still running.... mount.. foot clutch... shift and ride home. My ribs hurt like hell for several days... now they just ached.. but if I stand and twist.... NO NO NO... NO ! DON NOT TWIST ! searing stabbing pain just below the right shoulder blade. My medical type friends say.. just hug a pillow for the next few weeks... don't stand and twist. I think the helmet helped... I was surprised.. no black and blue marks... I was wearing a heavy " down under " duster which I think helped. The 45 came with crash bars.... they worked ! Kept the bike off my leg and no damages to the bike. Couple days later I went to put away the little summer car.... too painful to get in..... I can do truck.... small ragtop... Nope.
So I'm hugging... pillow for a few weeks..... friends helped put away the toys.... except today.... got my new to me solo trailer... and with a buddy going to get a 73' Cb450.... haven't a clue what I'm going to do Commie trailer.jpg with it. But, hey.. we'r guys

Oh man, I feel your pain brother. I broke a couple of ribs once, boy oh boy that hurts for a while. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! ;)

Woosh that was close Mike! Don't know that I've seen that WLA, hint hint.
Same around here last weekend sunny, temp around seventies but anywhere roads were mostly shaded they stayed wet all day.

Harley 45 Diamonds.jpg :) really not a Harley guy..... but always had a soft spot for a flathead. Has a buddy seat... foot rests... which the wifey hates... ( YES ! you can't see me... but I'm do'n the happy dance... painfully.. but the happy dance ) :)

So happy to hear you are okay enough to write about the mishap. (Happy for the crash bars too!) I have endured a flailed chest twice, one on either side. The first was due to a snow impact (funny, I thought snow was soft...) the other was when I totaled the VMAX in the Rockies. Take it easy for sure, your ribs will remind you often I suppose. Heal quick brother.

Back