Crazy Oil Leak! HELP!

engine22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was up late last night degreasing the crap out of the area under the left side clutch cover so I could find the exact spot of the little oil leak I've had for sometime. So I cleaned it up pretty good, also found the main sprocket to be loose so I tightened that, and took her for a short ride this morning. Bike seemed to be performing fine when I look down and notice that it is gushing oil out from under the side cover. WTF? Had I not stopped riding when I did I probably would have seized the engine, it was literally gushing. So I open the side cover and it hard to tell exactly where the leak was coming from, but it looks like the clutch pushrod seal... It was only a drip before I cleaned everything out... now its a gushing mess!!

I did remove the clutch pushrod to degrease it, but other than that I can think of nothing that I did that may have made the leak worse. Unless all that gunk in there was somehow keeping the leak from being worse... The bushing is a little loose and there is some play. Oil appears to be coming from the inner part of the seal where the bushing is... I don't know where to go from here... Could the clutch pushrod seal really gush oil like that?

I have a couple of extra pushrod seals handy, but would it do any good to replace the seal and not the bushing? What is weird is that it was only a drip until decided to try to clean it up, now its a gushing mess!

Honestly it's a common failure and I would replace the bushing and seal. Just get it done and no more worries.

What is weird is that it was only a drip until decided to try to clean it up, now its a gushing mess!
I don't think anything is too weird when it comes to old vehicles.

No good deed goes unpunished:laugh: yeah sounds like seal and bushing, you didn't say but do you still have the stock three piece clutch push rod? that little final stub seems to wear the bushing a lot more that the after-market one piece long rod

its the 3 piece rod. I guess I'll be making an order to mikes, and have to wait another week to ride. I should just take some of that gunk I cleaned out and stuff it back in there! I think that was what was sealing it!

How tight should the pushrod feel in the bushing? Right now there is a good amount of play, and it seems pointless to replace the seal without the bushing.. Is there any way you can find a bushing like that locally?

I cleaned an old truck engine once with simple green and water. Ya, that was bad. SOB started leaking and smoking. The crud was like stop-leak.

Back