Crying In My Wine Cooler...

Barb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So. I'm trying not to cry, and at the same time, I am really happy. Not unusual in my life, and the reason is that I just sold one of my BSA's.

I hate seeing bikes go away, but with no room and not having ridden it in a year, it was time to give it to a good home, and I did. It's local, I have visitation rights, and I know the kids ("Kids"--like in their 30's) will give it a good home next to some other bikes, but I still just want to sit in a corner and cry.

I know I did the right thing, and I also have the added benefit of getting a return on my investment of a factor of about ten (!) so that helps.

Isn't it silly? This is going to let me finish my BMW, finish an engine rebuild for the XS, and go to a bike run in North Carolina in May.....and there is still the feeling of having sold a child into slavery or something.

So I'm whining on cyber-shoulders, since everyone around here is so used to this it passes for normal.

I guess I'll go from :( to :banghead: to :bike:

Can't ask for more than that, right?

Barb

- unless youve mistreated her, if that bike is like most of my ex-girlfriends, shes going to haunt you for the rest of your life...hope you hadnt called her Christine

- seriously, how could you? bikes, like dogs, are your best friends and greatest heartaches all rolled up in one

- dont feel too bad - enjoy your new projects, have fun in NC and clean the rest of your bikes with a toothbrush and 1 in sq rag until you learn never to do that again:D

Gee, I never thought of Christine! :eek:

Actually, her name is Gemini, because she is two bikes: a BSA 441 lump in a Triumph rolling frame, with a Spitfire tank. A neat little cafe bike, and I love her, but haven't ridden her in a year. So in fairness she needs to be in a home where she will be ridden.........right?

My end goal will be to get down to four bikes: my XS"D" (with a parts bike that doesn't count), Millie the BMW R80, Pip the '78 Triumph T140v, and Britney, my original '67 BSA B44 (serial number 159!!). Counting the parts XS and a little Kaw, I'm at nine right now, so I have a long way to go......and every step hurts. I just want one of every bike, and one for spares. Is that so much to ask? :laugh:

Barb

- Gemini? - even tho a 441 victor is a 500 single:wink2: ...used to have one with a weslake top end

Is that so much to ask?

- oh dear - just accept and enjoy

I just want one of every bike, and one for spares. Is that so much to ask? :laugh:

Nope! I don't think there is anything wrong with being a bike hoarder... And having that spare parts bike for each one is just smart. :thumbsup: :wink2:

Hi Guys,

OK, inxs, I have to ask: did they make a Weslake head for a 441, or are you thinking a 500cc B50? I didn't know they made a head for the 441cc model (B44) and if they did, I want one! Not that I could afford it----I just want one!

Actually, I'd just love to find a B50 engine to slot into a spare B44 frame I have--one little weld job on the rear engine mount is the only change necessary. I really love thumpers......

Oh---Gemini got her name because she is parts of two different bikes....she'd be offended if I called her a twin. (I try to teach tolerance, but the singles look down on the twins, and the twins look down on the singles....what's a mother to do?) :laugh:

Now that I'm thinking about it, how about a four-valve head for an XS. Anyone know of anything like that? (Always wanting the impossible...I know.)

Barb

I'd kill for an OU head! I've seen some mention having them on www.Flatrack.com. I had to settle for a replica of the port job run on the last of the Yamaha factory racers in the late '70's done by Harry Lillie. Sweet head, but not an OU .........

Barb I always feel bad for bikes I see just sit. To me bikes have souls and if they aren't ridden from time to time that soul dies a little. You did Gemini a favor by letter her run free.

You saved her soul!

Dave

- Dave...that sets up some interesting metaphysical questions...do motorcycle souls die, if so-how, can they be reincarnated, what happens when you part a motorcycle out, are there bike ghosts...

- Dave...that sets up some interesting metaphysical questions...do motorcycle souls die, if so-how, can they be reincarnated, what happens when you part a motorcycle out, are there bike ghosts...

Not sure about ghost bikes but there is a heaven for good bike and a hell for the few bad ones. BTW this theory has limited applications for cars too, for example; Corvettes, Grand Nationals, Sti's have souls but K-car's no soul.

Dave

Back