Current Issues: Gas Mileage, Stalls and engine ticking

motomarv

1977 XS650
Reaction score
Alright, since I am new to this bike and engines in general, I apologize for my ignorance.

What kind of gas mileage should I be getting on my 77 xs650? Last check was 33+. It is basically a stock bike, no upgrades.

When I first start my engine, it ticks (lightly for a bit). Is that a sign of worse things to come?

Rode 20 minutes to work today, ran fine on the highway @ 60 mph. Once I got into town, it stalls as I approach the stop sign (starts right back up and got me to my destination). Any thoughts on what I need to do?

Thanks for any insights!

Gas mileage should be about 50mpg. Stalling could be corrected by turning your idle adjustment screw so it idles higher. Probaly a good carb cleaning is in order. Ticking could be rocker arms. Check your valve clearences.

Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like. A possibility is a leaky vacuum diaphragm in the petcock. +1 on a carb cleaning, new o-rings for the float valve seats. Any changes form stock? Exhaust, airboxes?

motomarv, at 33 mpg I think someone has changed jet sizes. 45-50 mpg should be expected at least. More if you tune the carbs and bike well. I think xsjohn and pamcopete are both in the high 50's now.

I'm currently getting 47 mpg.
It's a 75 with an 82 engine. 76 carbs with 74 internals. K&N pods, muffler baffles punched out. 17/32 sprockets. Pamco with green monster, soon to try iridium plugs.

Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like. A possibility is a leaky vacuum diaphragm in the petcock. +1 on a carb cleaning, new o-rings for the float valve seats. Any changes form stock? Exhaust, airboxes?

The only thing that I know isn't stock is the exhaust. It appears it was put on a long time ago. I've only had the bike a month. It does look like there is some rust in the tank. So, it looks like I have some work to do when I can find the time.

Back