custom/aftermarket rear master cyl's from Mike's

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
Anybody using one?
If so:
Of the 2 "bellcrank" ones he sells, why did you choose one over the other? one seems to have a square shaped reservoir and the other a round one.

Trying to figure out the difference between the 2 units, besides that one is black and one is silver, and shape of reservoir.

Was gonna try and re-use my stock one, but since it works directly from the plunger/brake rod into the MC, rather than from a rod to clevis to bell crank...it seems the positioning on the stock one is much more critical.
Like for the stock one, the rod has to move backward, when pedal is depressed, perfectly straight inline with MC, whereas with these crank type which connect up to a clevis to rod, I think there's a bit more flexibility of mounting..or?

thx!

- i have never had one in my hands nor seen one, but looking at the pics, apart from the length of the cylinder hose, it looks like for the black #08-4002 the lever is operated from above and the natural #08-4001 from below...the specs appear the same, piston, lever slot, mounts etc...could well be wrong...rear discs are rare here, except for nth american imports

- also looks as if the outlets are in different planes..the natural in the horizontal and the black in the vertical...but as i say thats only what i see

so I ordered the silver one from Mike's. The one with the part that gets pulled on top. Also tack welded on my brake pivot tube. Its the piece I cut out of the orig frame section so as to have the exact right size tubing to fit stock pivot.
Hope I understand correctly how the bellcrank works.

I'm think on those, the rod off the pivot clevis needs to "pull" - rather than push like on the stock MC. Pulling then makes the bellcrank pivot and then IT pushes/engages the MC. Hope I'm right!
here's the piece I tacked on. Can't wait to sort this and get this section cleaned up and prettier.
:)
full

I'm pretty sure you're right about the pulling (from the left as the picture is oriented) which will push the piston in. Even if it were the other way around you could flip the whole thing around and have the rod go over the top of the brake master.

hey Travis, yep thinking one way or the other it will work. I was really wanting to use the stock stuff just for the principle of the matter, but I think this way will be less bulky and in the end (I hope) more sanitary.
:)

Back