Custom battery / electronics box

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
I'm looking for something a bit different than what I see most of the time.

I am keeping a stock sized battery, and am looking for a battery box to hold it with all the electronics. I have ditched my side covers since prefer the look of a bike without them. The stock battery box is just not a good looking piece of hardware...... I'm looking for a solution that has flat / plain sides and can be painted.

I would love for this thing to be removable.
It must allow for:
Stock sized battery (preferably also rubber boot for vibration insulation)
Starter solenoid
Ignition switch
A small fuse box
A tiny bit of wiggle room for wires etc.
Preferably a mounting point for the above mentioned items instead of just having them shoved in there.

I am running a counter balance cycles seat, so no clearance above the frame - the seat sits flush.

Basically something to fill the space in the attached pic. I borrowed this pic from another thread. Red X's over the side cover mounts is to show that they are gone.

Attachments

• batteryspace2.jpg
    batteryspace2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 567
Borrowing another pic from here. I realize this is a side cover and not a box, but it's a good example of the space I'm looking to fill.

Also forgot to add: The plastic lower fender is in place right now, but doesn't have to stay there. T he electronics box could potentially occupy that space and serve the same purpose, perhaps even utilize the mounting points.

Attachments

• user12745_pic11429_1361066786.jpg
    user12745_pic11429_1361066786.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
IMG_0127.PNG
Contact Wes at Counter Balance, he made me this horseshoe tank for my bike. Better off to email him, don't think he gets on here to often.

Is that a box or a cover that covers something else up figure8?

I was staring at the bike for a while last night. Can't decide if the better approach is something that drops in from the top or slides in from the side. Removing the tabs for the side covers opened up a lot of room there.

Is that a box or a cover that covers something else up figure8?

I was staring at the bike for a while last night. Can't decide if the better approach is something that drops in from the top or slides in from the side. Removing the tabs for the side covers opened up a lot of room there.
It's essentially a box. It had threaded bungs on the bottom and slid in from the side. You'd probably be better to have it slide in from the side. It if goes in from the top it would be significantly skinnier.

Good point, probably more room to be had by making it slide in from the side.

Hopefully there's a shop on here that has a "mule" in their shop to mock this up on. Acquiring the tools to fab this is just beyond my reach at the moment.

I sent this guy a message to see if he can help. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fit of this battery box and would just need one that's either deeper overall or has a rectangular section in the middle that goes down deeper to house the battery while I put he other stuff up top.

http://workingmanscustoms.bigcartel.com/product/xs650-battery-electrics-box
Yeah, I'm familiar with that tray. I didn't mention it because you wanted a full size battery but maybe that issue could be worked around. Good luck.

Back