custom frame with harley wheel alignment problem

slister21

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I built a custom frame for an xs project this spring and I am running a 16" Harley spoke rear rim. The engine is centered in the frame and when I mounted the rear wheel and chain I noticed the clearance to the tire was less than a 1/16th of an inch. The original Harley sprocket had a 1/4" offset to it. I have the Mr. Lucky's 32 tooth sprocket for this rim. Would it be possible to space the sprocket over 1/4" inch and then center the wheel with the appropriate spacers or do I need a different wheel?

Thanks
Scott

Yep you can do that, thing to remember is you want the rear wheel centered as well. Worst case you can have the wheel spaced over with spacers like you state and if the wheel is then not centered you can have the rim lacing adjusted to move the rim back the other way. Totally workable situation. Good luck!

Yep no problem, I had the same problem with a 240x18 wheel and custom frame. Post up pics when you get the chance. Make custom spacers, you can use thick wall aluminum tube actually, you can get it at onlinemetals.com.

The key is the rim can be moved off center either way with lacing after that. If your wheel is 1" too far one way after getting stuff lined up you need the rim shifted back over the other way a 1/2".

I seem to recall that my hardtail with stock hub and spacers, laced for harley-type 16" rim and 5.10-16 tire, had about 1/2" clearance to the drivechain...

This is a stock Harley rim and hub. I am going to run a straight edge from the front sprocket to the rear sprocket and then measure how much it needs to be offset. As it is now the chain tracks true when I spin the wheel but I am 1/4" inch off center. I will let you guys know what I find. Thanks for all the advice.

Scott

I'm pretty sure that a few bikes come from the factory with the rear wheel offset from the front a bit. As long as they are true straight it's no big deal. I've read this subject over on the Virago forums and may be the norm on some Yamaha shafties. You might do a google search and find you are worrying too much.

Back