Custom Innovate exhaust clamp for tuning

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Its been a long time since I posted here as I have been playing around with some other bikes. But I just got the old 76 Yamaha XS650 out of the barn and decided to throw it on our custom tuner and thought some others would benefit from building a custom exhaust clamp. We have a regular exhaust clamp for bigger engines but what we found is that on the smaller engines the old exhaust clamp was showing super lean as the exhaust scavenged air back in. So we built a long exhaust clamp that wouldn't allow air to produce a lean setting. Works perfect, we can now check our idle, mid-range and WOT settings in seconds and make adjustments on the fly. I realize we could have installed the O2 sensors right into the exhaust but I didn't want something sticking out permanently.

We are using the Innovate MTX-L AFR meter with a laptop and the custom exhaust clamp.
Here is the video we made of the setup

Nice. I used to use a portable wideband to tune my cars and trucks. Took a lot of the guesswork out of tuning when you can read actual AFR’s.

Back