Custom Microphone Taillight

austintylerr

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I wanted my own mic taillight, but could not justify spending $300+ on a Seven Sins light. Soooo after stumbling onto a how to on chopcult, I decided to make my own. I used a Shure 55 series mic, gutted it, and used aluminum tape that I got from work (i'm an industrial fiberglass tech) and molded it to the inside of the cage. Using your run of the mill polyester clear casting resin and a little red transparent dye I came out with this! I must say I'm rather pleased with myself. It looks a little pinkish in the pictures but it's quite red in person. I'm going to hollow out the inside in the next few days and install an 1157 red LED bulb into it.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 454
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 450
  • IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 475
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 666
  • IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 537
As a musician I would be incredibly interested in one if you decided to make and sell them.

You could always run clear resin and red LEDs or both red leds and red resin (if anyone was worried about how red itd be).

You could prob make a killing on these for everyone not wanting to pay the over the top dollar seven sins charges.

The resin comes clear, and I bought the red led bulbs. It took me two times to get the color right, but I knew about how to mix it from mixing pigments all day at work.

I'd be interested in making them to sell, the only problem with that would be the price varying based on the price of the mic. If I were to get them for about the price I paid, I'd be willing to sell them for about 165-175 shipped. I wouldn't be making that much off of them and the turnaround could take up to two to three weeks depending on how quickly I can get the microphone. If anyone is seriously interested, pm me and we can discuss everything.

very nicely done!! i know exposures from picture to picture can have a big impact on the brightness of lights, but it looks to me like the seven sins unit has a LOT more light coming through. if i were you, i'd spend the $25 or so on a REALLY bring 360 degree dual filament LED bulb to make this as safe and killer looking as possible!

regardless, looks great

That wasn't the actual light, that was just a test with a flashlight to gauge the opacity of the resin. I have a 360 led in the one I built for myself if you would like to see it. They were only a couple of dollars, not 25 lol. I'll say this, they are not as perfect as seven sins, but the little imperfections add character as each one I make is hand made.

Instead of working with resin, why try the gel that is used in the professional lighting industry?
Lee and Rosco are the manufacturers and available in music stores and photo shops.

Nice work! I like it! From a safety perspective, I might want some more reflective bits or another light to go along with that one, but then I'm kinda paranoid about that.

Back