custom paint job on gas tank

cobrasneverdie

el guapo
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to look for a way to paint a design on my tank, I was thinking about drawing something and then getting a decal then a coat to cover it. But I was thinking that I wouldn't like the ridges as much. I stumbled upon a helmet
tumblr_n1du8klqYd1t0p6xyo1_500.jpg

would a stencil be ok for a work such as this?

if anyone has any pointers, it would be awesome.

You can do it a few different ways depends on how complicated the art work you want to do.

You can do it by drawing it on the tank itself, but use a water dissolvable pencil like a Stabilo pencil so it doesn't leave any grease and paint it using brushes.

You could do it by masking and spraying it. Essentially this can be done with a stencil as well.

I wouldn't try to bury a decal in clear coat, you may have some funny reactions when the clear dries and the glue would likely mess it up. Either method will leave a slide edge or ridges, but you can bury the artwork in a clear and it will level it out.

it is not very complicated, it is just a vintage cartoon of a pigs head. I'd like to keep it as less complicated as possible.

if I do end up drawing with a pencil first, am I putting it on the base paint?
any special paint that I should be using?

You can do it on the base paint, and if your drawing it on and just using brushes to paint it One Shot would be a good paint to use.

Otherwise paint your base coat, mask off the tank using a masking film and you can draw directly on the masking film, use and xacto cut out your design and spray your paint. Remove the masking film..

As stated before you can use One Shot lettering enamel if your using brushes.. if you going to spray the design with a stencil just use standard automotive paint..

This really isn't anything complicated or special to it.

Back