Custom Pipes

kent_in_kc

Heartlander
Reaction score
I'm Kent and I do custom fabrication in Kansas City. Some of the guys have asked about the shorty straight duals I made for the Rocket Dog bobber I just finished and if I was selling them. Ah, capitalism.

Rocket4.jpg

So here's the low down. They are beefy 1.75" single wall, ceramic coated inside and out. I include an adjustable 'lollipop' baffle so you can tune your back pressure and sound level, or I can leave that out. Without the heat shields they look killer but I like the shields because I kept getting my damn shoes on them! Anyway.

They also turn out at the ends but, hey, turn down, up, straight cut - its all the same, whatever you want.

No I don't offer chrome. They want 200 bones to chrome things little guys and I just can't see it. I'll sell them bare steel if you want to get them plated.

As shown, with stainless heat shields and lollipops (you can't see the adjuster behind the pipe) they are $300 plus shipping. They use stock exhaust gaskets (included) and have their own two-bolt flange.

They include a rear mounting bolt and removable bracket that require a bolt hole to be drilled or a stud to be welded to your frame or, I suppose you could run them without it, but I wouldn't.

So, unbolt your old pipes and put these on for a radical look, good tunes and easy install. :thumbsup:

Oh, and, subtract $30 for bare steel (no ceramic) and $30 for no heat shields.

Check out my little web site and email me from there.

Thanks for reading.

Killer. Questons: 1. can you make them out of SS tubing? 2. Can a muffler be added as a tail piece - any recommendations?

Nice idea. Sure, I could make them out of electropolished 304 stainless steel for $350.

Instead of a lollipop let's have a pair of my long internal baffles with single strand, stainless steel wool packing ($50).

Or, we could use a pair of Rocky Mountain Performance's Quiet Riot auto-sensing baffles for $150 (they adjust back pressure to keep performance up across the RPM band and sound volume from, well, quiet to riot.

Either way, you'd get the cool, clean look of the pipes with no external muffler. I've run my baffles and the QR's on my V-Star 1100s for the last three years and like both approaches.

Hey Kent, have you thought about, or do you make, a set of regular downpipes? About 32" in length is what I understand to be optimum for the XS650 motor.

One of the few components I've yet to buy for my cafe project is pipes. Still haven't decided which way to go yet, but I definitely want 2-into-2 down pipes.

I don't suppose your pipes include -- um, not sure what you call 'em -- essentially a short runner -- maybe 6 to 8" of a smaller OD pipe fitted into the larger ones at the header openings. This sort of item helps preserve low-end torque with large OD pipes.

No, Michael, I don't need that with baffles. They manage the back pressure to preserve the low end torque.

The lillipops do it by a lockable adjustment. My static 8" baffles do it according to the amount of stainless steel wool you pack in. The Quiet Riots do it dynamically according to engine RPM. I can't quantify this with dyno results of such but hey, that's the fun of it, tinkering with the seat-of-the-pants dyno.

If you like dyno data, check this out:

http://www.rocky-mountain-performance.com/

Jim, if you want a muffler on the pipes, we can try to find something. The long baffles especially can quieten it down. Surprisingly, even with the lollipops wide open, its not that loud.

John, my web site is www.KentDidIt.com

BTW, were you on YesterdaysTractor? A fellow with that same avatar was on there a couple years back. There was a little brouhah about how he might be promoting unsafe behavior by encouraging kids to stick things in light sockets. Sheesh!

Back