custom side covers

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have been playing with some ideas for customizing a set of factory side panels. My bike is a '78 Special, but I just like the looks of the standard side covers better. In my opinion though, the side covers stick out a little too far. So I took out my trusty 4" grinder and did a little nip and tuck on the top front mount to tuck it in line with frame. Also had to adjust the stock mounts on the frame a little. While I was at it, I needed to trim up the front to clear my XS Perf. pod filters. Cut out a large section on the panels and custom fit some perforated steel to help with breathing and cooling a little. Still need to do some fine trimming and shaping as well as tack weld the perforated steel in place, but I am definitely liking the direction this is heading.

Attachments

• sidecover1.jpg
    sidecover1.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 269
  • sidecover2.jpg
    sidecover2.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 303
  • sidecover3.jpg
    sidecover3.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 310
Seat was made by Wes at Counter Balance Cycles. Nice quality. Requires modifying mounts and fender though
Looks great, totally worth the bit of extra modification involved. I made a quick and dirty one for my current project but would like something nicer in the future. Thanks!

Like what you have done!
Found that a bit of hammer work on the side covers reshaping to clear the filters on madness was much easier than I thought it would be. Ended up being a much wider flange in front, that I trimmed off. I bought some beat up standard covers to fit but even with a (lowered) standard seat on this 79 special I wasn't loving the look.
Will have to revist std side covers cuz if it goes to the Ozarks I want to fit a standard tank for better range.
sidecover detail madness.jpg

I trimmed up the standard cover a bit. I cut out to clear for pod filters and also trimmed the front mount so the cover is tapered in narrower in front. They were crudely done with an angle grinder and cordless drill. They are far from perfect. You can see a little better in this pic if you zoom in.
EFB38316-197C-4C5B-9533-265824DA98F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Back