Customizing Headlight bucket

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I bought a pretty standard headlight bucket for my new led headlight. I don’t like the depth, and I don’t plan on jamming all the typical wires in it. So, I was wondering if anyone sliced off the back of one. Pros & Cons. Maybe a picture of the bucket afterwards. Been gone a while and really want to get this build on the road by spring 2021.

I bought a pretty standard headlight bucket for my new led headlight. I don’t like the depth, and I don’t plan on jamming all the typical wires in it. So, I was wondering if anyone sliced off the back of one. Pros & Cons. Maybe a picture of the bucket afterwards. Been gone a while and really want to get this build on the road by spring 2021.

Welcome back Gcraay.
I've seen aftermarket "deep dish" headlight shells in catalogs but that'd need longer support ears to let it clear the bike frame.
If the LED light fits without the wiring rats nest can the wiring be put in a separate place?

The bottom portion of some XS750/850 buckets is deeper. I think it may provide some more room for the wiring. I have one but haven't tried it yet .....

1UMSkTI.jpg

4WmR6RY.jpg

az0Pjwq.jpg

It takes the same headlight and chrome ring as the 650 but the alignment adjuster differs slightly. I bought a complete bucket and light off eBay for less than $30, mainly to get the H-4 light out of it for my 650.

i think you want to use shorter mounting ears. There isn't enough room between the front edge of the bucket and the mount hole to move the mount hole forward.
Leo

Back