Cut Exhaust & Pods. Carb Advice?

cmj317

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, i've read up, and found no definitive answer. I hacked off the exhaust before the mufflers, and I didn't receive the stock air box, so I'm running 2 foam pod filters. How are you guys setting up the stock carb setups to cope with this? The bike runs fine until it's warm, and then any load up on the motor causes it to spit and buck. It seems to run fine at low rpm, with low load.

Quick advice is greatly appreciated!

There is no definite answer on jetting. You start with the stock set up and work from there.

Will I be okay drilling the factory jets out, or should I just pony up for a few sets from mikesxs. Does anyone have experience with a free flowing exhaust, and air pods? What size jets should I start out with, etc.

Also, the bike ran 'fine' on stock carbs for about 30 miles, and then started spitting and sputtering. Is there a possibility they just need cleaned out? I know it will run lean, but it baffles me that it ran decent, and then didnt.

Will I be okay drilling the factory jets out,
No.

should I just pony up for a few sets from mikesxs
Yes.

Does anyone have experience with a free flowing exhaust, and air pods?
yes, but generalizing, what works great for someone else may not work well for you.
What size jets should I start out with, etc.
Stock, then find your main ... You know, i've posted about 6 times on how to do this. Isn't it in a tech article?
Also, the bike ran 'fine' on stock carbs for about 30 miles, and then started spitting and sputtering. Is there a possibility they just need cleaned out? I know it will run lean, but it baffles me that it ran decent, and then didnt.
It's more likely (depending on if/how well it was running previously) that something let go internally (like a dried o-ring or such). It's in your best interest to rebuild them totally if they've been sitting for a while.

Okay, rebuilding with 650central's kit, and then purchasing the OEM carb tune kit. 3 sets of mains, 2 sets of pilots. Hopefully we can get this situated. I apologize for asking so many questions. I'm new to carburetors, and didn't realize that if I have an 81 with pods and a chopped exhaust, and YOU had the same setup, I couldn't mimic your setup to get close.. Excuse me.

Back