'Cuz I'm not in enough trouble already

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Conned Allison into a quick Florida "vacation"
:sneaky:
Can't help it that this accidentally fell into the van along the way.
DSCN3835.JPG
fresh out of the van.jpg

Why don't you stop me? "'There's no fix for crazy"
God I love that woman.

Two wheels of trouble LOL. 91 Westwind AKA RS1200 It's from the "barn built" era before HD bought in. Small number of bikes, hand built, and continuous changes were the norm. Not the rare RSS1200. This one is in pretty good shape with 10K miles but was parked about 10 years ago because of fiberglass tank, ethanol issues. The list has been started.
A pic of the "factory" from that era.
In the Quonset Hut.jpg

Bike came back home, they were built in East Troy WI.

Last edited:
Gary, that is so cool! Hey have you ever ran into Eric Buell? Also is there a Buell forum you’re on somewhere? So many questions!
I know you’re a sport bike guy but I think you need a Ulysses too. :D
.......and a bigger barn.......but keep the wife,
You won the lottery with her! :lmao:

Can't help it that this accidentally fell into the van along the way.

Sh!t - I hate it when that sort of thing happens. What a pain in the neck.

As for your dear wife - well, ya gotta thank her folks Gary. Afterall, anyone who named a little girl after a 1710 cu.in. / 27 litre V-12 simply must be good people....
images

I'll certainly never forget that little video clip of her starting her bike and the remark she made when it stalled after idling for a minute or two. She is a peach.

Pete

Last edited:
Congrats, Gary, that's a helluva find! Cleaning the dissolved resin out of the carbie is likely to be a bitch, but Caswell two-part epoxy liner will fix that tank up fine.
That's what I'm hoping. There's more to the story than I know, but "some Florida marine shop" had already installed a (failed) epoxy lining, it's coming off in sheets, prolly poor prep, but that makes for quite a project. One option I am toying with; have a custom aluminum tank built. F-glass is not the best material for the street.

What about POR15 as a liner? It seems to be impervious to darned near anything!

The other place to look might be on a Norton forum. As I recall it, older Nortons used FG tanks and they had plenty of issues - so somebody over there must have figured out how to address them.

Pete

Last edited:
What about POR15 as a liner? It seems to be impervious to darned near anything!

The other place to looks might be on a Norton forum. As I recall it, older Nortons used FG tanks and they had plenty of issues - so somebody over there must have figured out how to address them.

Pete
Great minds.... I had JP poll the Norton owners club while he was at a gathering in Florida, Caswells two part comes back as favored.

Back