CYLINDER HEAD REMOVAL with VIDEOS (Part 1,2,3,4 AND 5)

Right On Man! That's a good video. It was over before I knew it.
I will tell You it different seeing me on Your laptop doing the same thing that I'm doing right now (well at least a few minutes ago.) another top end :laugh:
I am looking forward to the rest of your videos.

Carbon, those videos take such a long time to download, or is it upload (where is a teenager when you need some terminology?). The second part should be live in the next couple of minutes and all the fun of the fair is there.

Anlaf

I enjoyed Your videos :thumbsup:
On the master link and the mark on the cam.
when The engine is rotated the master link does not stay in the same place on the cam. It moves "if memory serves" 2 teeth every time it comes to the top. It seem weird but that's the way it is. So in fact it has never mattered where the master link starts. It will move as soon as the engine is turned over.
Make sure not to lose the metal baffle in the head. It's helps control the oils flow.

Thanks, Carbon.

You will see on the next batch of video evidence (when I find where I have put down the camera with all today's action) that I played around with the chain and found you could let it off the flywheel cog (no splitting, just letting it drop a little), turn the chain tp whatever link you want, then engage the chain agian. It's good to know it is not vital to the operation.

Metal baffle? is that the rectangular piece with what looks like a tang?

Anlaf

And, Carbon, it is a good job I videoed what I did - I took out a bush or dowell fro the head that was sticking out of one of the bolt hols, but I can't remember which hole. Ha, ha! digital memory.

With so many oddities to how the PO put this together after his so-called rebuild, I will be making sure I follow the correct reassembly patter (all those rings and seals, and dowells.

Anlaf

I started out shooting videos just so there would be something to look at when I reassemble. It seem I always forget where something goes.
he baffle is in Your 4th video at the 8:13 mark. It's in the cam chain tunnel at the top of screen

The 4 red o-rings you found at the end of vid 3 are extra and shouldn't have been there. Instead, they go on the sleeves that fit up into the top cover. You found one at the beginning of vid 4 that had come out of the cover and remained on the left rear outer stud. You can plainly see the red o-ring on it in it's proper location. The 4 outer stud holes help drain oil from the top end back to the crankcase. That's why they have those sleeves w/ o-rings and the rubber washers on top. DO NOT use that rubber style washer again, switch to copper or brass replacements.

Thanks 5twins. I have a gasket and seal set here, and there are those small rings in there, but no copper washers, so I will have to plan ahead. Is there a schematic for the little fellers, those seals (or rather, their counter-parts, the replacement copper washers).

Anlaf

Good video ANLAF!
I wasn't sure if You were going to get the jugs out.
But darned if You didn't. :thumbsup:
ANLAF the one armed mechanic. :laugh:
I have enjoyed your videos!

Thanks, fellers. Jugs being re-bored today. I got so far and thought it would be best to get those jugs checked out - on the next video you will see it was a good job I did. Tom, the old feller who's my local expert, read me the history of my bike in those jugs like a gypsy reading tea leaves.

Anlaf

Carbon, those videos take such a long time to download, or is it upload (where is a teenager when you need some terminology?). The second part should be live in the next couple of minutes and all the fun of the fair is there.

Anlaf

nice one Anlaf but can you do it blindfold ?:D

if you use Windows Movie Maker you can save your video or export it and make it a smaller file size which makes a huge difference in upload time.
Youtube does reduce the size for you as you upload so you might as well do it yourself .

i downloaded the free Windows Movie Maker 2.6 which s an older but better version than the current WMM live.

Peanut, I could not export the videos from Windows live (i'll look for the Movie Maker 2.6), so I used my old Mac laptop and used iMovie and export as Quicktime. Takes a while.

Anlaf

Last edited:
Back