Dakota tracker

Went up to Black Hills Harley Davidson during the Sturgis rally and saw this cool little tracker signed by Kenny Roberts. I only saw 1 xs out of the reported 500,000 bikers that were there.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 380
Yes that is Rob Hassay's now!!! I do believe he found it there and bought it. Its a Kenny Roberts original Yamaha TT 500 and Kenny just happened upon it at Sturgis and signed it for Rob.

Here is what Rob had to say

"Good day at Sturgis today, despite the rain. Just received confirmation from THE MAN himself, that yes indeed, this is one of "5 or 6" that KR and Jerry Griffith built and tested, but never put into production like the 250's, bicycles, etc. Kenny was also gracious enough to sign the tank for me. Nice to know that you have the genuine article!"

600813_10200405030787233_209867231_n.jpg

Rob has taken home to restore.

Yes that is Rob Hassay's now!!! I do believe he found it there and bought it. Its a Kenny Roberts original Yamaha TT 500 and Kenny just happened upon it at Sturgis and signed it for Rob.

Here is what Rob had to say

"Good day at Sturgis today, despite the rain. Just received confirmation from THE MAN himself, that yes indeed, this is one of "5 or 6" that KR and Jerry Griffith built and tested, but never put into production like the 250's, bicycles, etc. Kenny was also gracious enough to sign the tank for me. Nice to know that you have the genuine article!"

View attachment 33524

Rob has taken home to restore.
Damn! To know that kenny roberts was here and i didnt have my bike done. Donny you know all the shit.

I built a battery hold down / fuse block the other day. It sits where the factory one sat. A little wiring and hook up the fuel lines and I think she will be ready to ride.

Attachments

• DSC02682.jpg
    DSC02682.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC02681.jpg
    DSC02681.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC02680.jpg
    DSC02680.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 226
Best way to put it is it's on "hiatus"
I hear ya. I've been working my tail off this summer and the bike has been on the back burner. I want to get it running so i can sort the bugs out of it so i can tear it down and cut the remaining tabs and bullshit off the frame so I can get it powder coated this winter. Cold weather is going to be here before I know it.

I hear ya. I've been working my tail off this summer and the bike has been on the back burner. I want to get it running so i can sort the bugs out of it so i can tear it down and cut the remaining tabs and bullshit off the frame so I can get it powder coated this winter. Cold weather is going to be here before I know it.

That's pretty much the stage where mine is frame wise. It runs fine. Body work needs paint. Some smaller things I'd like to do. As far as cold weather, bring it on. Then I'd be messing with my true love, snowmobiling. That's where my RD internet names comes from.

Wish I had a weather excuse as you guys have for holding my project up, so I started sweeping the sunshine off the driveway yep its out there all day.
That sounds terrible Donny. I suppose the trade winds blow in around 5 and then its beerthirty. I'm not looking forward to winter at all, the only thing that gets me thru is hockey season!

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got my bike back from a friend who wired my bike for me since I,m not a wiring person. I brought it home checked my nuts and bolts for tight, greased the swing arm,checked the oil and put some gas in, I kicked it about 10 times and it fired up! I havent thrown a timing light on it since I installed the pma,pamco and e advancer on it but I have to see were its at because it was a real dog off idle. I also checked the plugs and the left looked nice and the right was a little sooty so it looks like a little carb work need to be done.

Well I hope I remember how to put this thing back together. I have to cut a few tabs off do some final welding and just do a general clean up on all the shitty factory welds before I send the frame and parts off for powder coat.

Attachments

• DSC02709.jpg
    DSC02709.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC02708.jpg
    DSC02708.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 243
After about a year off from this project I got the frame and chassis pieces powder coated. I coated every thing in a color called near chrome to resemble the nickel coated frames of track masters. I hope I took enough pictures to remember how the thing came apart.

Attachments

• DSC02840.jpg
    DSC02840.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC02841.jpg
    DSC02841.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC02842.jpg
    DSC02842.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 239
Back