DALE WALKSLER---RIP

timbeck

HARDLY A GURU
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly I just read that Dale Walksler has passed away. He was a true ambassador of old motorcycles. When we lived in NC I had the opportunity to visit Wheels Thru Time several times and he was always enthusiastic to talk old iron with you. .....

tim

Wow, Tim, truly sad news. I've always wanted to go to the museum, with the hopes of meeting Mr. Walksler. At least his son will hopefully carry on his legacy. Now, he rides among the stars. God rest his soul. :(

Indeed - @lakeview and I visited Wheels Through Time museum a couple of years back and it is a superb display. The Walksler family are to be congratulated and thanked by the motorcycling community and the loss of their patriarch is a very sad event.

Anyhow - I am sure that anyone who has been there would join me in recommending a visit. It is well worth the trip and certain warrants a half or full day visit. Aside from all the V-twins, they have an incredible collection of inline four cylinder American bikes. They have Hendersons, Indians and others - all in perfect running order.

Related to that is an incredibly cool thing: if you stand beside a bike long enough and look especially interested, a staff member will come along and tell you about it and if you like, he will start the bike up - right there on the floor!

No exhaust ducting, no rope barriers, no ear protectors and no other guy standing by with a fire extinguisher - just bike guys having fun with bikes.

Pete

Last edited:
About three or four years ago, I rode an old Yamaha up there the week before they closed for the winter. Going over the top, it was snowing on me. I was traveling and visiting solo and it was a weekday as I recall. There were few people in there. I had all day. I was able to have two long conversations with Dale that day and he posed for a picture with me. If I could find it, I’d share it here.

Back