Dammit

weaselbeak

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
43 f*cking years without a damn deer. Two weeks ago I got clipped by one going over the back of my bike, 3rd in line in a caravan. Bruised my elbow, shoulder, and later my hip came up a bit sore. I did keep it upright, but had to fix some bent luggage brackets. Today I took a slow ride to check on my elderly brother, and actively looking for deer in the ditches, Bambi got me anyway. Hit a spotted fawn dead center, nearly cutting it in half. Totaled the gauges, windjammer stuff (all 4 pieces), my Jeff Gordon leather jacket (double damn), and most likely bent a front fork some. The right side engine cover got scraped up pretty bad as the foot peg highway bar did not quite do it's job, but the brand new Dyna S came thru unscratched. I was only running the 55, and a mile from my destination. I separated from the bike on impact, slid a while, then traction took over and I started rolling. You can't believe how much stuff goes thru your mind. I remember 1st being glad I had a helmet, as I felt the slap and scrape of every roll, which I thought would never end. Curiously, the face shield hasn't a scratch on it. 2nd, I was worried about how broken I would be, if still alive, when I stopped. I have abrasions on both knees, both elbows, both hands and wrists on the outer edges. My ankles are sore, nothing broken but the left has already stoved up on me to the point of crutches. My right shoulder and right upper chest took a pretty good hit. I will be one sore SOB for awhile. Not to mention the paranoia from 2 deer in such short order. I might try and rebuild the 850, it has some new stuff all over it, or maybe it's going to be a parts bike. BTW, in this high tech world we live in, my sister in Huntsville, Texas knew about it in ten minutes. I don't know at the moment if I should quit riding (I am 65) and just work on the damn things in the garage, or try and reload.

Double shit! I won't say it, don't want to curse myself but record is similar to yours; a few with cars and trucks and damn close a time or 4 on the bike.

Hope you stopped sliding before you tried to get up.... Roadracing it's common to see a guy so used to high speed that he'll try to stand up while still sliding and get tossed again.

ouch man, sorry to hear. glad you're still here to tell the tale. there are tons of deer around here and i'm always on the lookout. here's to a speedy recovery! :cheers:

I get it, ever since a car pulled out on me i barely ride. People wer lije he dudnt even c u. Could have teed him but luckily he was on just enough angle n i had just enough room inglanced offbthe rear.
my grandpa rode 60 yrs no prob. On a country rd were he lives a car pulled out in him. He was on his 3 weel, goldvwing i believe. Him and huscwife r lucky. They could easily not made it, she had pins in kegs. Same senario he was cruisingbcar driver admited not seeing him and she pulled out. He didnt have time 2 react.

Posted via Mobile

that sucks dude. glad you made it through; that it wasnt as bad as we all know it could have been. my thoughts go to you and your bike for a speedy recovery.

That sucks, I'm paranoid whenever I ride, I commute a lot on my bike (33 miles each way) and am always on the lookout for deer or other critters (and roadkill), especially since I take more country roads. Happy to hear you came out of it in one piece.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. 65 is far too young to stop riding.

3 years ago, a deer just about T-boned me. All I saw was a blur as it came at me from some trees. I had both brakes full on and the tires sqealing, as the deer crossed in front of the bike. I actually hit the deer's rear leg as it flew by. I still get a little nervous in areas where the trees are real close to the road.

:)Hope you and the bike heal well. I too have had an encounter with a deer that did not end well. 28 years ago (which was my 28th year of riding) on my way home from graveyard shift on my XS850, I was scooting along a back road at about 40 MPH, I came up a small hill with a dog leg right at the top and then a short straight stretch. As I approached a section where power lines cross over the road I looked to the left side as there had been some cattle that had escaped their enclosure and had been munching on the side of the road when I had gone to work at the beginning of my shift.

Basically I was just having a quick look to make sure they were gone, I looked back to the road, checked my mirrors and as I looked forward again something from the right side caught my eye, there was buck, on the gallop coming at me from the side and no time to react. The bucks chest area hit my front fork ( I remember his head and antlers right in front of the headlight) and at point I guess his neck snapped, his body pivoted and broke my right leg ( I could feel the leg go jelly like, no pain, that came later).

I had a good grip on the handlebars and managed to keep the bike on its wheels, I think the guy driving the pickup behind was more shocked, he said later on he could not believe I kept it up and rode it out. Anyhow I brought the bike to a stop, knew my leg was broken, (turned out to be a broken tibia and fibula), guess shock was setting in as I thought it was best to put the bike on the side stand, soooo I leaned to the right to swing the side stand down, and quickly realized that I did not have a leg to prop myself up with, so just like on the old laugh-in show with Arte Johnston and his tricycle, I fell over.

I was in a cast for five months, but got the bike fixed, new jacket as the old one had some antler damage, and I carried on riding. I have installed a deer whistle on all my bikes, I can't prove they work but I have not had another close encounter since, or maybe I am more vigilant, in any case I hope it works out for you and you can return to riding. Stay safe there buddy, think the good thoughts..

And the hunters at work keep telling me the deer population in Iowa is down this year! Here's to a quick mend, and several more years of riding ahead of you.

In Iowa we call them the government's goats. Kill one illegally you'll lose about 1500 bucks. They don't own it if it tears you and your vehicle to shreds.

Back