Damn Insurance Companies rule the world!

Using the legal system as a model, you're guaranteed a defense that meets the minimum of some board. Still, if you're able, you can hire F. Lee Bailey along with Dr. Bull to rig the jury...
So in Canada if I chose, I could have private insurance or contract with a healthcare provider on my own?

Every Program the U.S. gov. runs is a disaster!! so ya lets let them F**k up our health care too. Our system may not be prefect but no one has ever gone to Canada for medical treatment. Thousands come from Canada every year to get escape your great socialized system and receive state of the art treatment in the U.S.

"Damn the concept of personal responsibility. Full speed ahead!"

"If I had known that I'd have lived this long I'd have done things differently."

"Sometimes Grandma is just gonna have to take the pill."

A benevolent fiduciary or a tyrannical monster?

Thing is not all major health problems are "self inflicted".

Some times a kid is born with a condition no one had reason to suspect. Now the family is hit with major bills they could not plan for in advance.

Or some jerk with no insurance will run a stop sign and hit you. If you are lucky to have some insurance it might have maximum lifetime limits that are soon hit then what are you to do?

Yes, a very small percentage (0.15%) of Canadians travel to the USA for medical procedures. The other 99.85% enjoy our very high quality health care system. Americans like to buy our prescription drugs because they are much cheaper.

Quote:
"no one has ever gone to Canada for medical treatment".
Actually that is not true. In the 1990's, it was found that a large number of Americans from Detroit, used fake Ontario health cards to cross over to Windsor to see doctors. I don't know if that still continues today or not.

Canadians who travel to the USA for medical purposes only are a small number. In 2014 it was considered to be about 52,000 people or about 0.15% of the population. Mostly they are going for non-critical or non-life threatening issues where there is a longer wait list. The survey is compiled by the Fraser Institute who are a right wing / libertarian think tank. The information that they compile and present would be in keeping with their politics.

More than 52,000 Canadians travelled abroad for medical care in 2014: study

One study quoted in this article indicates that 2% of U.S. American adults buy prescription medications from Canadian pharmacies, either in person or over the internet. Even if this is exaggerated, it is still higher on a percentage basis than Canadian medical tourism.

That's a good question. What really does happen then?
Quote;
"Some times a kid is born with a condition no one had reason to suspect. Now the family is hit with major bills they could not plan for in advance.
Or some jerk with no insurance will run a stop sign and hit you. If you are lucky to have some insurance it might have maximum lifetime limits that are soon hit then what are you to do?"

In Canada our health system would give the medical care that is needed, at no cost. In the USA, you would go bankrupt, lose your home, etc.

In the USA, you would go bankrupt, lose your home, etc.
My question is what really does happen. I'm pretty sure there are limits on what can happen to your home. If you fall below a certain income level short of bankruptcy you in fact do qualify for free care, and so on. And there are huge medical charities around.

My question is what really does happen. I'm pretty sure there are limits on what can happen to your home. If you fall below a certain income level short of bankruptcy you in fact do qualify for free care, and so on. And there are huge medical charities around.
I luckily have not yet had any first hand knowledge of what happens but have heard that medical bills are one of the the leading causes of bankruptcies in the US.

I just have a problem with a country that can spend billions of dollars on weapons of war but not see to it that basic medical care is not available to all. I would be more than willing to pay a couple dollars more for a meal when out with the wife if it would help fund healthcare for all. Same when I buy a set of tires or other items for my motorcycles.

Federal spending on health care looks to be around a trillion dollars, vs. about half that for the military. Just federal.

I just read something that said 60% of bankruptcies are from medical, although 70% of those had some sort of medical insurance...

Note bankruptcy translates in a way to free medical care. You could pay until finally you couldn't afford a stamp to send the check. But before you can have bankruptcy you have to have debt, and that means the hospital has to have extended credit, and I can't see that happening. Don't know how that would work.

Here is the reason why American health costs are double or more than all of the other developed countries in the world.
Your congressmen and senators are bought by the big health and drug companies. They are all making huge amounts of money
while they drain the money out of your pocket.

^That's a given. Always has been, always will be. To wish otherwise is utopian. You just have to trust the geniuses who set the country up took it into account, and of course they did. They set up the American way of life, followed closely by the French way of life, followed closely by the way of life in whatever Western country, incl. Canada. Something I was surprised by, but shouldn't have been, all these former heads of U.S, intelligence agencies are on TV news promoting this or that course of action, but if you examine what those individuals are invested in, they are in it to turn a profit for themselves. Shouldn't be surprising at all. Should be very predictable in fact. Just human nature and you have to work with it.

Quote:
"You just have to trust the geniuses who set the country up took it into account, and of course they did. They set up the American way of life,"

You can't call the founders of the USA geniuses, when they set the country on a path of hundreds of years of racial discrimination
which still endures today. The civil war, in which hundreds of thousands of men died, was a direct result.

It was very hypocritical for them to state:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

How could they have said that all men are equal, having the right to liberty, while they owned slaves???
Washington had hundreds of slaves. Jefferson and Franklin also had slaves .

You can't call the founders of the USA geniuses, when they set the country on a path of hundreds of years of racial discrimination
which still endures today. The civil war, in which hundreds of thousands of men died, was a direct result.

If you are going to make ignorant statements like this then it will get uncivil damn quickly

Last edited:
How could they have said that all men are equal, having the right to liberty, while they owned slaves???
Washington had hundreds of slaves. Jefferson and Franklin also had slaves .

Decisions are easy with the benefit of hindsight. You'll almost never make a mistake that way. And there are no shades of gray.

Jefferson in the first draft of the Declaration tried to end slavery:
"he has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating it’s most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. this piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the CHRISTIAN king of Great Britain. determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold"

However lesser minds were having none of that.

BTW, Franklin ultimately became a prominent abolitionist. He was also the worst old lecher you'd have ever seen. He grabbed 'em by the.... never mind.

Acknowledging the horror of slavery while being a slave owner is a little like Al Gore depleting the ozone in his private jet while traveling to speak against depleting the ozone. You can't fault someone for living in the time they live in.

Acknowledging the horror of slavery while being a slave owner is a little like Al Gore depleting the ozone in his private jet while traveling to speak against depleting the ozone. You can't fault someone for living in the time they live in.
Yep................Al Gore is a hypocrite for sure.
You certainly can fault people for "living in the time", if they should know better. An example would be the "casting couch" method of auditioning that has gone on in Hollywood, for a hundred years. Each generation of producers and directors would pass it on to the new producers and directors, that is just the way we get to take advantage of young women. In their mind,
"living in the time" meant they could sexually harass and rape young women, and because of their power they could get away with it. What's wrong is wrong, and I hope Harvey Weinstein gets 10 to 20 years in the slammer.

OK - I will wade in with the greatest of reluctance.

I think we can all agree that NOBODY has the perfect health system (or anything else related to that Olympically incompetent bunch of twits known as the government) and I’m sure we can all concur with the notion that: having tried rich and having tried poor - rich is way better - no matter where you live.

Now, may I gently suggest that this thread wind-up before things degenerate into an unnecessary and unpleasant web-based shouting match?

Hey - IDEA!!!!

How about everybody swing over to my place here in beautiful (but very flat) Windsor, Ontario - I’ve got plenty of BEvERages and we can shoot the sh!t about our bikes???

Pete

So in Canada if I chose, I could have private insurance or contract with a healthcare provider on my own?

OK - one last remark to answer this question. In Canada - everyone is a “member” of the public health system because it is funded transparently through your income taxes (along with the police, the armed forces etc etc.). If you choose, you can pay for certain types of extra care, or travel abroad for certain kinds of treatments like cosmetic surgery (nose/boob jobs or having non-cancerous moles removed etc.), but I personally don’t know anyone who has ever done that - and I do know some folks who are pretty damned wealthy.

That’s all I’ve got.

Back