Dangit!

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Did my usual morning cruise of Craigslist and found TWO things I'd grab in a heartbeat if I wasn't too broke to pay attention.

A Case 310 gas dozer for $500. Says it runs and moves. If that's true either the owner has no clue, or he dropped a zero when he posted. Or lied about the condition. Or all of the above. Still, it's worth that as scrap and/or parts.

Not one but TWO 80 gallon belt drive air compressors for free. Thinks the motors let the smoke out. I suspect it's more likely a start cap or centrifugal start switch.

Unfortunately, I put a new toy on my credit card and until that's paid off, I won't have two spare nickels to rub together.

I'll post pix/explanation of the new toy when it arrives. Shipping expected around 9/10, delivery say a week after that.

Well if the compressors are free I'd think you could swing that much. Of course we all know how much free things can end up costing!
Well yeah, but I'd just stash them until I could fix them. Problem is, they're way-the-hell downstate. $50 plus worth of gas in the Tundra.

It'd be worth the trip gas-wise if I could grab the dozer too.

I'm reconsidering on the compressors. Email in to poster.

Since I moved my Quincy down to the new shop, I miss having one in the garage for airing up tires and such.

If I could fix them both and sell one, I could even make enough for a six pack...

IR.jpg

PC.jpg

I went ahead and snagged them. One nice Ingersol-Rand, cast iron pump and one consumer-grade Porter-Cable with an aluminum pump.

Took the motor and pump off both of them so I didn't have to hire a crane to get them in the truck.

They were in Camden which is A) about 80 miles away and B) a MAJOR tourist trap. I snuck in the back way via a favorite route (Maine 52) but the road has deteriorated badly since the last time I was down that way. Thought I'd take coastal Route 1 back. It's a few miles longer but thought it'd be smoother. Got to the intersection with Route 1 in Camden sat and looked at bumper-to-bumper traffic for a few minutes, said "Fut Dis!" went around the block and back via 52.

Now to see if the motors are fixable. I figure the worst that can happen is I'll have 160 gallons of extra air storage.

View attachment 222670

View attachment 222671

I went ahead and snagged them. One nice Ingersol-Rand, cast iron pump and one consumer-grade Porter-Cable with an aluminum pump.

Took the motor and pump off both of them so I didn't have to hire a crane to get them in the truck.

They were in Camden which is A) about 80 miles away and B) a MAJOR tourist trap. I snuck in the back way via a favorite route (Maine 52) but the road has deteriorated badly since the last time I was down that way. Thought I'd take coastal Route 1 back. It's a few miles longer but thought it'd be smoother. Got to the intersection with Route 1 in Camden sat and looked at bumper-to-bumper traffic for a few minutes, said "Fut Dis!" went around the block and back via 52.

Now to see if the motors are fixable. I figure the worst that can happen is I'll have 160 gallons of extra air storage.
Nice score. If you get two more you can build a pontoon boat! 😀

Long story short, the P-C was junk. Motor needs a start switch at the very least ($50-$75, IF you can find one) and the aluminum pump knocks louder than a Jehovah's Witness on uppers.

The I-R was missing the pressure switch and all the external plumbing, but it has a cast iron pump. Went through the motor and tested it on the bench, seemed okay. Bore-scoped the inside of the IR tank and it is solid. So I cleaned it all up, remounted the motor and pump and swiped all the needed plumbing off the P-C with a few bits out of my stash. Changed the oil in the pump and fired it up and voila! Runs good, sounds good, builds air. I chickened out and shut it off at 120 PSI (rated for 175) because I have no idea of the condition of the pressure switch and didn't see the need to work it that hard anyway. 80 gallons at 120 PSI will run anything I'll do with it.

I need to grab a new filter for the pump intake, a new pressure switch, a quarter-turn ball valve for the drain and some anti-vibration pucks to mount it on.

I think I'll also pop for a magnetic motor starter as it's asking a lot of that little pressure switch to start a 5 HP motor.

Those 80 gallon compressors aren't cheap when new, even lesser quality ones. You done did good. 👍

Those 80 gallon compressors aren't cheap when new, even lesser quality ones. You done did good. 👍
I looked them up based on the model numbers. The P-C runs about $1200, the I-R is closer to $1900.

Feast or famine: Grandson says they have one at work with a bad tank. They're going to junk it as far as he knows. Asked him to check on it for me I'll take it if they're going to junk it, or sell them the good P-C tank.

Back