de-radiusing a flat trailer fender?

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
Anybody done this, one way or the other?
Am thinking of trying this method. Seems a miracle if it would work. But I think I kind of "get it". Not sure my fenders have enough in the way of skirts or sides for the wood to be able to catch. Was just wondering if anyone on here had accomplished this, via this method or some other (probably more involved) method.
thx!

http://tinyurl.com/ygf5no2

Aunty Em, you could clamp on a pair of Vise Grip's to hold the 2x4's. The type welder's use have a longer & flatter jaw, less scuffing' of the chrome.

Travis, cool pic. any finished pics? If I couldn't get this 2 by 4 way to work then I was going to try something similar to what you did, even if I end up ruining it. I just don't feel like buying a fender...
probably have to anyway, if I butcher mine.

Aunty Em, you could clamp on a pair of Vise Grip's to hold the 2x4's. The type welder's use have a longer & flatter jaw, less scuffing' of the chrome.

hi Gordon, great idea! I need to pic up one of those welder's vice grip type clamps anyway. Its starting to be no fun holding the piece I want to weld on with a pliers, while I tack it.

I really need tools, anyway. Am trying to do this project with insufficient tools.
thx for the idea.
:)

emzdogz, no not really. I hope to have it done by this summer but I've been saying that for the past couple of summers :laugh: I don't have a whole lot of time into the project, just haven't finished it for some reason. I guess I should stop changing my mind about what I want to do with it or stop spending so much time on side projects. :shrug:

emzdogz, no not really. I hope to have it done by this summer but I've been saying that for the past couple of summers :laugh: I don't have a whole lot of time into the project, just haven't finished it for some reason. I guess I should stop changing my mind about what I want to do with it or stop spending so much time on side projects. :shrug:

ah, yeah I hear ya. This 80 I'm on, it sat around for years.
Anyway, It will be good to see it whenever it does get done.

I have the same problem with my mind and projects,and also get side tracked by newly found cheap projects .I guess thats why i have 4 that i am working on and another 4 in need of starting .Got to love um all equal right:shrug::laugh:

Aunty Em, the '80, is it a 'g' model? That's what I got. The only thing I did was bring 'er into the 21st. century with bearing mod's, shock's& fork upgrade's,ect. Very reliable now,mechanically & electrically.
Tool's are allway's a problem,never have enough. And they are not cheap! However, some people praise place's like Harbor Freight, & some don't. In my (ahem) 40+ year's of wrenchin', I say you get what you pay for. With that said, you can get some decent tool's for a good price at HF. Not the $4 socket set's, but they have a 'professional grade' of socket set's, wrenche's, hammer's, plier's, ect. I have quite a few of those, as I have had at least 6 set's of tool's stolen from me. Insurance for work tool's is very expensive, & claim's often go with a "You lost them, so tough luck." On the less expensive stuff, if you feel the weight of the tool, and it 'feel's ' pretty good, it's usually ok.
Electrical tool's such as bench grinder's, are definatly you get what you pay for. The cheaper one's lack the power of the higher price model's. They work, bvut do not have the oomph of a better tool. I got the $65 bench grinder, & it'll stop if I push too hard on it, like buffing off gasket's, ect. The stand, on the other hand has held up very well, & is convenient for getting the grinder off the bench.
Also, got a bench from there. Mounted a vise on one end, & with the backstop & lite up top, has also worked out well. Of course, I don't overload it. It's rated for like 450#, and handle's a650 engine assy. with no problem. I even rebuilt 2 T5 manual transmission's on it , along with 2 Turbo 350 automatic's. ( A little side work)

I guess the point is, good shopping technique's can get you allot of tool for your buck. Some web site's also have good deal's on the more expensive tool's, like tubing bender's & the high priced 'shop stuff'.:D:)

Last edited:
Aunty Em, the '80, is it a 'g' model? That's what I got. The only thing I did was bring 'er into the 21st. century with bearing mod's, shock's& fork upgrade's,ect. Very reliable now,mechanically & electrically.

Gordon, it is an "SG" - and it had rear end crash damage. That's one reason I felt emboldened to go ahead with my small hardtail chopper project. Sometimes I wish I had merely "bobbed" and left the rear shocks on.

I also had a silver mostly stock 79 SF that was my only operable bike for several months. I got it running right and really enjoyed it. It was with that bike that I learned just how nice (and quick!) an XS can ride. Reliable too, once I got timing and carb issues sorted.

yeah I did worked for all my bikes , the thicker material fenders are a bit harder, the secret is to take your time, move around the fender evenly both sides or it will have a twist and check often. it really does a nice job and your fender does not look like a trailer fender anymore hehe eh!http://www.degenbikes.com

yeah I did worked for all my bikes , the thicker material fenders are a bit harder, the secret is to take your time, move around the fender evenly both sides or it will have a twist and check often. it really does a nice job and your fender does not look like a trailer fender anymore hehe eh!http://www.degenbikes.com

hey cool! happy to have the link to your build. Some of it made me laugh. The part about be prepared to remove all the mounts you had them put on...lol.

Yeah .... I was lazy and lacked the confidence in myself, but when I really thought about it. I had built way more complicated things, such as fully automated machinery and custom car frames and suspension components, blah blah blah. Bottom line is it did not look the way I had pictured it in my head so I started with the frame and worked from there, front street is doing a fender for me, when that comes I'll fab the mounts.

ok, I de-radiused it enough I think. It has a slight twist to one end of the fender though, so I still need to mess with it some. But its almost there. Almost time to sand it and mount it up and move FORWARD.
picture.php

Might just cut some more off! might be able to get rid of that twist. Now that it wraps tighter around, it is longer. Well not really, lol....but it goes and wraps farther along the tire.

Anybody done this, one way or the other?
Am thinking of trying this method. Seems a miracle if it would work. But I think I kind of "get it". Not sure my fenders have enough in the way of skirts or sides for the wood to be able to catch. Was just wondering if anyone on here had accomplished this, via this method or some other (probably more involved) method.
thx!

http://tinyurl.com/ygf5no2

I know this is an old post, but does anyone have a good link for this info. The above link points to lowbrow customs, but I cannot find the video on modding a trailer fender.

Back