Dead after 10 miles on highway

That's if he wants to run a battery. I've heard of guys running really small batteries on the PMA. Not sure what the word is on them. I'd even be inclined to do something like that to smooth out the spikes.

I will tell you though, if Morris Magneto made a 277 ignition, I would definitely be interested. With that, even if the charging system died, you're just out the lights. Still able to run, but that's the only reason I would be interested. Also, they are really, really proud of them.
the really small batteries work fine around town, but will overcharge on long trips. I cooked one really good that way. I have had the same sparx capacitor for years, much better than buying a new battery every summer.

Thank you all for your input!
What i have gathered is:
1. Use original charging system for less power or,
2. Use original ignition (points) because it won't burn them up or,
3. Put in halogen lights to burn up excess power.

But definitely get rid of capacitor and add battery and put reg/rec on front of bike

650skull: all components checked good on multimeter but i don't know if you can, or how to check pamco with multimeter.

I guess it's time to go shopping. I don't want to have to worry about adjusting points but i don't like the fragility of pamco. I don't have the original charging system anymore so i will keep the one i have since it's working, but I'll have to get rid of led and add halogen bulbs. I will try to get any answer from pamco on how to check it with a multimeter because i hate throwing new parts at a problem without knowing exactly where the problem is.
Is there anything i missed?
Once again, thank you all for your input.

Tech Menu........

Electrical............

Bottom of the list...........Pamco Thread.............has all the information on a Pamco, links to, all instructions, wiring looms and testing procedures

I can't believe with all my searching i haven't found that thread. I feel like an idiot :banghead:. It's amazing! Going to read it 10 times then try to figure things out. Might be a couple days as I'm working everyday 12 hours until August and i have a family who needs my attention.

gedti quote:
" but i don't like the fragility of pamco"
I can't let a statement like that go by. The Pamco system is not fragile, and in fact they are very long lasting. I've been using a Pamco for 9 years now. Lets be clear what caused you to break down on the road......................its called a PMA.
A Pamco will not fail, when used with a stock type charging system.

I also see that your stator is mounted on the downtube. I have mine mounted on my front motor mount, which is where a lot of stators are mounted for cooling purposes. Those fins on the stator are to give it more surface area to be air cooled just like your engine. The more air you can get on them when running, the better. Might also be something to pursue.

Hi BigJimmy,
again, what kinda "stator" are you talking about?
The only XS650 stator I'm aware of is the ring of coils outside the rotor and those are concentric to the crankshaft and live under a cast aluminum cover.
You gotta be using the name to describe some other part?

I will tell you though, if Morris Magneto made a 277 ignition, I would definitely be interested. With that, even if the charging system died, you're just out the lights. Still able to run, but that's the only reason I would be interested. Also, they are really, really proud of them.

Hi BigJimmy,
Morris make those million dollar babies to go on Harleys.
So it's possible to build them to spark at whatever angle Harleys use.
So it must also be possible to build a version of their XS650 magneto that sparks correctly for a 277º?
Perhaps it'd just take a different angle cam inside?
At the thick end of a grand per unit they'd most likely be willing to make you one?
Phoning them won't cost you much.

Hi BigJimmy,
Morris make those million dollar babies to go on Harleys.
So it's possible to build them to spark at whatever angle Harleys use.
So it must also be possible to build a version of their XS650 magneto that sparks correctly for a 277º?
Perhaps it'd just take a different angle cam inside?
At the thick end of a grand per unit they'd most likely be willing to make you one?
Phoning them won't cost you much.

I would hope so for a grand/unit. You may be right. Hell, I'd seriously consider it if they would. Like I said, specifically for the simple fact that "shitty" charging system or not. I would still be on the road.

Hi BigJimmy,
again, what kinda "stator" are you talking about?
The only XS650 stator I'm aware of is the ring of coils outside the rotor and those are concentric to the crankshaft and live under a cast aluminum cover.
You gotta be using the name to describe some other part?

Sorry, you are correct. Thinking of the 2 as one as since I bought them as one. My reg/rect is mounted up on the front. My stator is under my Banshee rotor.

I may send them an email. Like I said. I really do like the idea that I would be able to run the bike even if the charging system was completely out. I know it's not a very efficient system, BUT it would be quite handy.
gedti quote:
" but i don't like the fragility of pamco"
I can't let a statement like that go by. The Pamco system is not fragile, and in fact they are very long lasting. I've been using a Pamco for 9 years now. Lets be clear what caused you to break down on the road......................its called a PMA.
A Pamco will not fail, when used with a stock type charging system.

Try testing spark like you would with ANY other system... or anything over 7.5amps... or a splash of water... or leaking cam seal... orr.... there are just a few. Granted, I run one.

All this is why I went with the Power Dynamo unit from HOOS.
Only running 1 LED and that is for the liscense plate light. All other lights are normal lighting.
The rectifier(?) I have mounted in the front of the engine,, right where the down tubes split. Stays nice and cool so far.
I probably paid twice for the unit from Hoos,,, as compared to a Pamco unit,,but before buying it I researched a LOT. And these issues continually popped up in every search I did.
Personally,,,I would recommend the HOOS unit to anyone who wants a well built running/charging/ignition unit.
It is all crank fired too,, with electronic ignition module with 5 pre sets for advance. No points or mechanical advance to mess with.
Also I am running no battery,,kick only and no cap. Kicks right up on first or 2nd kick.

Hi BigJimmy,
hitndahedfred's post inspired me to check out HOOS racing's site.
FYI they make a 277º version of their PowerDynamo system for $655.00

Quote:
"Try testing spark like you would with ANY other system... or anything over 7.5amps... or a splash of water... or leaking cam seal... orr.... there are just a few. Granted, I run one."
I have no idea what you are talking about. You'll have to be more specific. My Pamco has been used when I have driven through heavy rain for hours at a time, and no problems at all.

For a visual check of spark, I use a test spark plug that is grounded to the engine, the same way everyone should do it, for any ignition.

7.5 amps.....................what do you mean???

I've had leaking cam seals, and that does not cause any problem with a Pamco.

Are these problems you have had personally on your bike, or are you referring to what others have reported? If you feel a Pamco is unreliable, why do you use it?

I think he is using it because a lot of others are using it. And there has been a lot of hype surrounding the Pamco unit for this platform.
Some have component issues,,, some do not. That goes with any aftermarket stuff,, we all know that too.
It MAY be a simple fix,,,None of us are there to see for ourselves though,,, right?

Last edited:
I was on a mission to make my longest trip on my newly built '79 bobber from Detroit to Lansing to get ready for the chop off in Toledo. The thing has been riding great for the past month on the side roads, time to take it on the highway. Other than horrible Michigan roads and lack of a windbreak the highway ride was great too until i got tho the exit. And here is where the problem is.

As i came to a stop at the end of the ramp the thing just decided to die. After an hour of letting it cool down and tearing it apart with my limited tools i found i wasn't getting a spark.

I got it home tested all wiring, coil, reg/rec, kill switch, head light, tail light, and charging system. All good. I tried hooking a battery up to the bike and follow the instructions to check pamco but to no avail. Is there a way to check the individual components of the pamco ignition with a multimeter?

I NEED HELP. What else could it be? This is what i have on the bike.
1979 motor
Pma and reg/rec from mikes xs
Pamco ignition with dual output Coil
Led lights
Kill switch (no key)
Kick only
Capacitor (no battery)
=================================================================
DUDE,,,!!!
I just noticed that we both have the same hardtail. The Vintage Voodoo MK25.
Check it out.
0521171625_HDR.jpg

That's if he wants to run a battery. I've heard of guys running really small batteries on the PMA. Not sure what the word is on them. I'd even be inclined to do something like that to smooth out the spikes.

===========================================================
I would LOVE to run a Morris Magneto,,But for 1000 bucks,,, it ain't gonna happen.

Back