Debating wether to buy this or not

madmax-im

Yamaha...Go your own way...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hard to find one for 1980...however it has rusty spots and is missing an end cap.. and the back pad isnt perfect either...still pretty cheap compared to one in perfect condidtion..If one could find a perfect example...What could be done to eliminate the rust? Rechrome or paint Black or Anodized?
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-80-81-YAMAHA-XS650-XS-650-REAR-BACK-LUGGAGE-RACK-CARRIER-BACK-REST/163516916101?fits=Year:1980|Model:XS650S|Submodel:Special|Make:Yamaha&hash=item26125e2185:g:2FsAAOSwIApcUkyF

Last edited:
That one isn't too badly rusted. Some good chrome cleaner (No.7) and an old tooth brush to scrub with should clean it up pretty good.

3D4F8E87-24F4-45E6-8570-796E4A2E884A.jpeg

Look how sporty looking this shape is.
Yamaha part ? IDK
A Standard frame does differ slightly of a Special II frame however.
A “Special” rack may be even easier to find.

You could try "the old crumpled aluminum foil and 3-In-One oil trick"...
I cleaned the rust off the legs of a Farfisa organ, and my brother couldn't believe the night & day difference... :twocents:
That is interesting... Might give it a shot..

I'd say go for it before somebody else does... You'll be really surprised at how it will clean up to look new. I use Turtle Wax chrome polish, and those little brass brushes that come on a card of three. Anything harder than brass will scratch or dull it. Scotch pads will dull it a bit. Most of the color there has run from much smaller rust spots, and both will go away with some good scrubbing. Then wipe silicone spray on it now and then, and maybe brush it again every couple years/ The upholstery, you can remove it and maybe invisibly patch the cover from the inside. It doesn't have to stand up to somebody sitting on it, which helps

Madmax-im,
If you decide to get the piece and your not in a hurry, get an ice cooler large enough to submerge all or most of the rack. ( May have to turn it once a day)
Put a gallon of white vinegar in the cooler and fill with water. No rust happens while the piece is in the solution. In about 5 days there will be NO rust on the piece. It will not hurt paint, chrome, rubber or anything else. pull out the piece and rub it lightly with 0000 steel wool or chrome polish in what were the rusty areas, only to smooth out the chrome edges. Rinse well again, dry and spray with a good brand of clear overcoat. I use Rust-oleum Acrylic Enamel 2X. I spray only the areas where the rust was, the bright shiny bare metal areas. Sometimes I hit the once rusted areas with silver wheel paint then over coat with clear. Vinegar leaves no rust, it just takes time and maybe a brush to move the rust off under the rinse. . If you ever use this method of rust removal, you'll never go back to expensive stuff in a bottle.

Thankyou all..this is very encouraging news..gonna pull the trigger on it tmrw... This thing is pretty large I dont have a cooler that would I could fit this into...but i think I'd try the white vinegar approach first...I have an idea to buy a plastic storage bin from Wally world that would be large enough.

Tankbag is the only way to go. Doesn't have to be a big one. I've had one for about 5 yrs now.

Typically i like to stow my raingear in a seat bag..too bulky for a tank bag...

Tankbag is the only way to go. Doesn't have to be a big one. I've had one for about 5 yrs now.
what kind do you have? i'm kind of shopping for one.

p.s. no 0000 steel wool. it will dull the chrome noticeably. btdt (on small hidden areas as a test)

Built brand small tankbag. It's the house brand of Cycle Gear. I believe they don't make this model anymore. Not seen them anymore in the stores. The new model is even smaller and more round. It's held in place with straps, not magnets.

What I have is a rack on a 71' Bonneville. A trunk off a early 80's GS 850. This was one of those Windjammer setups. I coulda swore I had one off the 1980 I have for sale. Guess not. Sorry man. I was running into the same issue, pitted with rust. Shoulda kept them and powder coated. When I'd have one, seems like I'd have no bunji cords. If I did they'd be dry rotted or stretched out. So I tried rachet straps. These would flap around so I cut some length off. Then times they'd be too damn short. This lead me to 50cal ammo cans. These worked well for the amount of space they had. A fast food large soda would fit standing up perfect! Designed water resistant obviously. I took them off only because they looked like shit. Drilled holes and mounted on the sides of a 2010 Speedmaster. So I was in Iron Pony. Not a fan of this place. Only because they have nothing for what we do. Anyway I impulse bought a Burley tool pouch. $80. Had this for a week and it slid around, got caught in the tire and by the time I smelled it.... Piss on it. Backpack time. Don't fit in the backpack, take the freaking car. Haha!

Last edited:
Back