Debris in sump oil filter

Mitch81special

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what this is? Its plastic, I'm guessing it's from my cam chain guide.
20200918_230518.jpg
20200918_203533.jpg

Attachments

• 20200918_203533.jpg
    20200918_203533.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200918_203533.jpg
    20200918_203533.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 66
Certainly is from the front guide. They are pieces from the sides of the rubber pad. On my bike there were short pieces like those and when I opened the engine up the rest of the guide rubber had completely delaminated from it supporting aluminum casting in one piece. It stayed in place with the chain one side and the casting on the other.

For some reason the other guide that fits behind the cam chain tensioner seems to last for ever.

Last edited:
It's probably the outside edges of your cam guide. That happened to mine many years ago. The chain is still rolling on the plastic as always. You may have some time. In the video, you can hear what the engine sounds like when all of the plastic is gone. You'll also run out of cam chain adjustment.

As for that sump oil strainer, you may be able to save that. There are several threads covering the repair of these strainers using JB Weld. High revs at start up when the oil is cold and thick is the cause of the torn mesh.

Yes, you should be able to repair that filter. Looks like you've caught it just in time, before parts of the screen have torn out and gone missing, "digested" by the engine. Leave the torn screen in place, it makes an excellent backer for the JB Weld to adhere to. Reach through the output hole on the bottom of the filter with a small screwdriver and push the torn screen back out into place. You may also need to hold it there as you apply the JB Weld .....

MZHYtbR.jpg

If portions of the screen have gone missing, all is not lost. You can still repair the filter with a sheet metal patch JB Welded into place .....

58KTQQo.jpg

WF8QfpW.jpg

wAtlsw4.jpg

Check the other oil filter/strainer and you may find more small bits in it and possibly some Aluminum shavings from the front guide. How many miles does the bike have on it?

Yes, you're gonna need one eventually. Yours may not be totally shot yet but it's on it's way out. The edges are the first part to break off. Then that allows oil to more easily work down in behind the rubber strip and loosen it up. When I did mine, the strip hadn't fallen off yet but was about 2/3 of the way loose .....

w1FmGEX.jpg

The symptom I had was a loud ticking noise for about 30 seconds after a cold start. My theory is that the loose rubber strip was slapping against the aluminum base and making noise until enough oil got splashed up from the crankcase to quiet it down.

Yes, carb cleaner will clean the filter up nicely prior to the repair. For general cleaning and washing of a good filter, I just use kerosene. But that leaves a residue so if needing a patch, I follow that with lacquer thinner. This cleans without leaving a residue behind.

I believe those shavings will be Aluminum (i.e. not picked up by a magnet) and they are from the cam chain wearing away at the chain guide. They all got sucked through the broken sump strainer. Those black bits are probably rubber from the chain guide. The thin red bit is probably some gasket sealant. That slight twist to the filter/strainer is normal.

The rubber bits may also be from the rubber ring bonded to the #4 starter gear. It sheds little rubber chunks sometimes, especially if your starter grinds a lot. The metal chips might also be from a grinding starter.

Back