dell ortos

jay760

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this with you,just bought a set of offset manifolds from joe wise guy,on ebay,and luckily they fit my dellortos,so if anybody's thinking of putting phf dellortos on thier xs they will fit 32,34 and 36mm phf as they are all the same size at the manifold.
I did have them mated with a spigot to the standard manifold but that split and when I took it off it was really soft,I went to buy a new set of manifolds from mikesxs but there is a big warning ,do not use with fuel that contains ethonol,all fuel in australia contains ethonol ,so I was stumped until I found these,they also give it that nice splayed head cafe racer look.

no sorry my family have gone on hols for a couple of months and taken the cameras with them,not to good with the computer thing but if you do a search on ebay "xs650 dual intake"you will find them with pictures mounted with mikunis on rubbers my dellortos slide directly on the manifold no rubber to worry about with the crap petrol that seems to be about now.

if you had the original side panels you would have to cut most of them away,but if your running dellortos or mikunis trying to keep it standard dosn't come into it,with the dellortos on its alot tighter because they slide on the manifold rather than being stuck on the end like the mikunis pictured.pumper dellortos come in two types phf and pfm,the phm have the same type of manifold as the mikunis the phf are designed to slide onto a metal manifold where the tube slides up into the carb,this is the type I have.

Last edited:
I just got a beartrap pedal kicker from Joe. MikesXS has a 750 bigbore kit and manifolds running the Dellortos...sposed to the ticket for max HP with an XS. I may try it next year. The Dellortos are a bit spendy but I have sources for parts thru Ducati vendors

I've always bought mine on ebay,the good thing with dellorto pumpers when buying them 2nd hand is you know they have come off a 4 stroke, where although mikunis are plentiful you don't know what they are from,and I'm pretty sure there is a differance in the insides between a 2 and 4 stroke carb.

About buying used Mikunis, If they are out of 2 stroke, the needle jet, jet needle, main and pilots might be way off but I'm pretty sure the carb body itself is the same. The slides may or may not be what you need. Most of the ones on ebay will say what they came off of or you can ask about what slides and jetting are in them so you know what you’ll need to replace and can bid accordingly. Even if they did come off a 2-stroke, you might only need to potentially buy new needles, needle jets, mains, and pilots, but you'll probably replace most of that anyway regardless if the carbs came off a 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

aren't the spray tubes differant as well.I don't know just something I heard years ago when I was talking about amals with a triumph dealer.

I will be runnig the Delorto Kit from Mike's on my street tracker. I know a couple of guys that are running the carbs now with great results. They booked some dyno time and had them sorted correctly.

the tube between the main jet and the carb throat that the needle runs up and down in,least I think thats what they are called,probably wrong

just looked up the part I was talking about and see you already have it listed the "needle jet"

Last edited:
yeah I figured you were talking about the needle jet but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

The way he was talking I had assumed he was talking about the knock in part that the needle jet screws into, until I looked up the parts drawings yesterday, its a knock it part on dellortos not sure about other makes of carb.

Last edited:
back from my hols heres a picture of the mounts.

Attachments

• IM000406.jpg
    IM000406.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 331
  • IM000407.jpg
    IM000407.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 358
About buying used Mikunis, If they are out of 2 stroke, the needle jet, jet needle, main and pilots might be way off but I'm pretty sure the carb body itself is the same.

Yeah mostly the same, some VM's don't have the enrichener circuit though! So when buying you need to check that, also slides, jet needles & emulsion tubes (needle jets) can get a bit pricey, so allow for that in the cost.

There's 4 different enricheners too! None, pull up, cable & lever. So pays to know what you want! :cheers:

Yamaman! Didn't know that about the enrichener circuits not being in some of the bodies! Thanks for the info!

Back