For Sale - Desert Sled

oldbmw1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1EC97421-F553-48B8-B6B9-5B2339EE9CCD.jpeg
D84DF99A-59A2-480A-9F84-816D1D5F003A.jpeg
1EC97421-F553-48B8-B6B9-5B2339EE9CCD.jpeg
1974 Yamaha XS650 built for dual sport /off road.
This bike took first place in the High Pipe Hooligan Hill Climb at Huntington Lake CA. Fastest bike up hill in its class 305cc to 650cc.

It’s been seen kicking up dust in Death Valley and also probably the one and only XS650 on top of Mt. Patterson.

If this Sled catches anyone’s eye, I will let you know more about this simple build and can include more pics.

Bill of sale only.
Located in Reedley CA
$3995

Last edited:
I’m not a buyer, but it does look like a very interesting build. I would be interested in seeing more and hearing what you’ve done to it. It might help stir up some interest in your build as well. It reminds of the old Triumph desert racers from the old days.
473A8D23-539B-4E49-A22C-126C22BB8A35.jpeg

Simple build.
Forks and wheel came off of a Honda MT 125 Elsinore. Same diameter as the stock triple tree and they slid right in. I added extra springs and heavier fork oil to help with the heavier bike it was now dampening. I restore BMW Airheads and the valve springs on the heads were exactly the same diameter as the Elsinore fork springs. I had to build a spacer for the stock Honda axle to accommodate the wider XS650 triple tree.

Modified BMW R1200GS skid plate instslled.

The gas tank is a CZ desert tank. It’s plastic so no weird goo problems with modern gas. I built a mount under tank to bolt on tank correctly. I had to relocate the two coils because of where the tank sit.

I found a some longer shocks that go well with the longer forks. Not sure what they came off of.

I ran a very small front sprocket and a very large rear sprocket so it’s geared way low and crawls in first gear.

Due to the chain angle with the longer shocks, I had to install a chain tensioner and plastic wrap around chain guide on the swing arm.

Because the bike was taller now with more ground clearance, I modified and center stand accordingly and removed the side stand all together when it was mangled while flying off road in Death Valley.

The front headlight is a vintage Acerbis plastic dual sport headlight.

The seat and rear fender is stock.

The shorter mufflers are baffled slash cut mufflers I found at a swap meet. Not too loud. Sounds just right.

The handle bars are vintage desert wide bars.

Bike has new DOT knobs front and rear.

Last edited:
Reedley with a SLO sticker… has it been out to the dunes in pismo?

I’m currently building an xs to take out there.

nice to hear yours will handle deep sand pretty good.

awesome bike!

Back