Did any of the Specials model come with dual brake calipers and discs ?

007sparky

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm after putting an extra brake calliper on my special ( mag wheels ) and need a left side calliper , I know some of the standard models had twin brake setups but not sure if special did ? Callipers much match so If from a standard I guess I would need 2 callipers as I'm sure they differ from the specials slightly ?

There are several other bikes that used dual front disc, several that had the brake on the left side.
There are several threads talking about this, search for dual front brake.
The dual brake set ups used smaller rotors. 267 mm as I recall. This required that the mounts on the forks be lower. On your Special does it have the 267 or 298 mm rotor?
As far as the caliper goes they are all the same.
When you do get the parts to add the second caliper and rotor, use your stock 14 mm Master Cylinder. It works great, much stronger brake and much better feel. I have duals on both my 75 and 81. I use 14 mm M/C's on both.
Leo

Will check shortly , I would of thought if both fork legs had calliper mounts that surely 2 brake setup was possible without much fuss

Yes, both forks are the same. It's just that when the factory shipped dual front disc XS650's they used the 267 mm rotor, this required the caliper be mounted lower. If you had a dual disc set up with 267 mm rotors you could take the calipers and mount them on your special and use 298 mm rotors. They will line up.
I see in another thread you are putting a GSXR front end on an XS650. If you are the stock calipers wont work. You will have the use GSXR calipers.
On a thread on here is a listing of rotors that bolt to the XS wheel. It also lists the diameter. You need to find a rotor that matches the size rotor the GSXR uses.
This has been done. Search for GSXR fork installs.
Leo

The front end swap may or may not happen , if the dual calliper issue isn't easy to sort will fit the gsxr front end , have the callipers though I'm sure the xs650 discs won't fit ?

The left caliper isn't exactly the same as the right one, it's a mirror image. The hose connection and bleed nipple locations are reversed. Google "SR500", it had a left mounted caliper that is a match for the 650's right side one. Some of the 750/850 triples and maybe some of the 1100s had them too.

As you are in the UK you should be able to pick up a left hand caliper easily as they were fitted to most european models, the disk just bolts straight on to the hub, there is a plastic cover over the bolt holes on one side, was selling a wheel the other year the amount of people that asked if it was for a single or twin disk was unbelievable.

As mentioned other Yamaha's had left side calipers. there is a thread listing most of them. seek and yea shall find.
Leo

The XS650's with the smaller front disk brake rotor, (267mm), that XSleo is talking about, is on the 77-79 Standards for Europe. These bikes had 35mm forks, and as stated the caliper was mounted lower to accommodate the smaller rotor. Something to consider if you have to replace a front fork lower in the future.

The only Specials made for the European market was the US Custom, and that had the larger rotor, (298mm), and was a front brake single disk set up.

If your Special was imported from the States then it will have the larger rotor and single disk front brake set up.

Be careful buying XS750 and XS850 left calipers. On some of the US XS750/XS850 Specials the left caliper is different to the XS650 Specials. Euro XS850G has the same calipers as an XS650. This i know because i have the XS850G and it has the 24litre tank, only Oceania and Europe got that model. Some of the earlier XS750 Euro and Oceania calipers were different also.

Don't take any notice of Boats.net part no match ups. It states all XS750/850 Specials and standards have the matching caliper as the XS650. Not so.

XS1100 and XS500 will need clarification.

I agree the SR 500 left caliper is a bolt on to the XS650 left fork.

Thanks skull , you have cleared it up that it ain't going to be a 2 minute job unless I can get a left sided sr500 calliper , I might go down the gsxr front end route but that the opens a totally new can of worms .
Skull do you know if the left sr500 calliper will fit a disc measuring 297mm and also if its a mirrored match visually to my existing calliper ?

Regards sparky

It will be a 2 min job if you get the matching caliper.

Unless some one else can verify what other model XS had the left to match the right XS650 caliper, as stated by 5twins the SR500 is a bolt on and so is the 1980 XS850G.

Some XS750/850 links and fish files with part no's to reference the calipers.

Reference the XS650 calipers here and cross reference. I may have been wrong on some info.

Check out the 77D-79F and 80G

On the other XS's 750, 850, 1100, the thing you have to watch for is the way the axle mounts to the forks. The standards used a regular fork, the axle straight under the fork, these used the same calipers as the XS650.
The Specials used a leading axle fork, the axle mounted to the front, up a few inches from the bottom. They used a different caliper. They mount with one bolt through from the rear.
The XS400 used the same calipers. I think most Yamaha's from the same time frame used the same calipers.
Leo

I will check mine tonight , mine is a special though I'm certain it has axle on bottom centre but can't be certain

All the XS650's Special or standard used the regular forks.
The leading axle forks were on the other XS's.
Leo

Here is the lines that you need to get or just make them up. This was from a 1983 but you could also use lines from a SUZUKI or KAWASAKI too difference is they have brake switch built in.

Attachments

• 2014-08-06 10.02.14.jpg
    2014-08-06 10.02.14.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 133
Back