Difference between xj650 and xs650 and avaibility of pieces?

T-Bolt

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have the chance to get their hands on a very clean xj650 maxim for a really low price . But before avanturer , I would like to know what are the differences between XS650 and xj650 ? and secondly if it is as easy to find parts for xj650 maxim 1980 and to customize it?

thank you

The only similarity is that both models have two wheels. The XS650 engine is a punched-out version of the German Horex 500 SOHC 4-valve twin first built in the mid-1950's. The XJ650 motor is an 8 valve DOHC 4-cylinder unit of the 2nd generation of Yamaha's in-house 4-stroke designs. A few searches will tell you what you need to know on parts availability.

It is. They just started with a working platform. They made a lot of changes, google Horex 500 and you will see both similarities and much difference.

When Horex went broke, it was acquired by a Japanese company that called itself Hosk, which continued to produce the 500 twin as a high-dollar machine. Hosk failed, and a now-defunct small bike maker called Showa (not the same as the current and healthy suspension manufacturer) bought them out and never built the machine. Showa failed and was bought out by Yamaha. When Honda produced their 750, Yamaha realized that large displacement 4-strokes would dominate the market. As a stop-gap measure they blew the dust off the old 500 design, bumped the displacement to 650, set the price point $50 higher than the Honda CB450, and rolled out the XS1 while they started up in-house 4-stroke design work. The machine proved so popular (largely because it offered the most cc's for the dollar that could be bought, despite its many vices) that Yamaha continued producing it for well over a decade.

The Brits weren't the target; they were already failing due to shoddy QA and obsolete design. Anybody who sees more of a resemblance between the XS650 and a Triumph than cylinder count and 360* crank timing needs to have his eyes checked.

ok so if I understand it well are two very different motorcycle. He must have a reason to little number of costumize maxim on the road!?

The Maxim/XJ bikes have a huge following and parts are available. They're good bikes, but a little fugly.

Now, if you had a Seca or FJ600....

The LS 650 is a single, isn't it? You're talking about three very different bikes that use three different ways to get to 650cc.

I don't mind having my eyes checked considering I'd never even heard of a horax until now... not that nerdy lol. but now I know I'm sure I'll be able to throw it up in conversation and look like a nerd.

TLC you need to show us a picture............
of the high speed tassels. I've been looking everywhere for a set of those.

lol that whole sig is a joke... except the DB looptail... thought the pink tassles might give it away... sure would like to see a 4 cylinder xs though

Nerd, huh? FYI, troll, I was working in a Honda/BSA dealership when the XS1 came out, and prior to that I owned a Triumph Bonneville, so I'm talking from the perspective of 50 years of grease under my nails and real life acquaintance with these machines. Go crawl back under your bridge.

Nerd, huh? FYI, troll, I was working in a Honda/BSA dealership when the XS1 came out, and prior to that I owned a Triumph Bonneville, so I'm talking from the perspective of 50 years of grease under my nails and real life acquaintance with these machines. Go crawl back under your bridge.

ego much?

you know I genuinely was interested in your first post, hence "interesting that" and I do like learning stuff like this from people like you. I don't know why you had to come out like a "know it all" ass unless you thought I was being sarcastic. I wasn't.
If you consider any of my posts as trolling then perhaps it may not have looked that way had you not arrogantly said: "Anybody who sees more of a resemblance between the XS650 and a Triumph than cylinder count and 360* crank timing needs to have his eyes checked."

XS do resemble triumph on the whole. can't deny it.

Kid, the XS650 resembles a Triumph Bonneville about as much as a Mazda Miata resembles a Triumph Spitfire; 2-cylinder bikes, 2-seater convertibles, look the same from 100 yards, I'll grant you that. Close up? Well, not so much. From the instrument cluster (separate clocks vs. integrated dash with key switch and instruments) to the controls (separate switches vs. switches in modularized housings) to the motor (pushrod vs. OHC with obvious camshaft end caps) to the fenders (painted vs. chromed) to the tail light assembly (the Japanese set new records for ugliness on those) to the wheels (half hub rear drum vs. full hub), the contrast between Brit and Japanese styling and engineering is stark. Only Kawasaki knowingly cloned a Brit bike when they produced the W1 650, a punched out version of the 500 cc. BSA A7 complete with pushrod valve train, in the late '60's. It wasn't a success in the US, but had a long run elsewhere.

When Horex went broke, it was acquired by a Japanese company that called itself Hosk, which continued to produce the 500 twin as a high-dollar machine. Hosk failed, and a now-defunct small bike maker called Showa (not the same as the current and healthy suspension manufacturer) bought them out and never built the machine. Showa failed and was bought out by Yamaha. When Honda produced their 750, Yamaha realized that large displacement 4-strokes would dominate the market. As a stop-gap measure they blew the dust off the old 500 design, bumped the displacement to 650, set the price point $50 higher than the Honda CB450, and rolled out the XS1 while they started up in-house 4-stroke design work. The machine proved so popular (largely because it offered the most cc's for the dollar that could be bought, despite its many vices) that Yamaha continued producing it for well over a decade.

The Brits weren't the target; they were already failing due to shoddy QA and obsolete design. Anybody who sees more of a resemblance between the XS650 and a Triumph than cylinder count and 360* crank timing needs to have his eyes checked.

While it is certainly true that Yamaha purchased Showa etc, a lot of people dispute this (internet) "Hosk etc" version of the development history of the XS1 motor.
Some folks from Yamaha have said that the ancestor of the XS1 is not the Horex but mostly a derivative of the Toyota 2000GT engine (which was designed by Yamaha) and the transmission and clutch layout from the YR1. The bore is identical to the Toyota 2000GT. The diameter of the valves, valve angle, and valve stem dimension are also identical. The valve retainer on the 2000GT is the same part as on the XS1. It has been said by some Yamaha people that the Hosk acquisition had no influence at all on the development of the XS1 engine.
(Just an alternative view for a bit of balance).

oh , I see that my post provokes controversy. I just wanted to know because I have one now XS650 1972 Suzuki LS650 1998 one and the possibilty to add xj650 and wanted to know the difference between xj and xs thank you for that I think I had my detailed answer.

Does anyone of you has already had experience with the LS650 Savage . I do not know by which bike to start my project.

I think leave aside for now the xj

I 'm so excited I think ;)

Back