Differences in housing from country to country.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Back in the 50 s and probably through to a few years ago, a lot of housing in Oz was built on a 1/4 acre block, that was the dream. In suburbia all houses are separated by fencing, even houses in rural areas generally have fencing of some sort. Decades ago it was generally picket fence, although over the last couple of decades steel fencing has become very popular. Fencing years ago surrounded properties with most extending right up to the council front boundaries.

In the west, homes are generally double brick on a concrete slab due to the sandy soil. Housing varies widely around the rest of Australia: Queenslanders were very popular for decades and decades in QLD. QLDers are all wood, generally built on stilts up too 10-12' off the ground. I believe it was for ventilation prior to AC, Windows were louvred. That is now changing and brick veneer homes are the norm in many parts. The NT is similar.

The East, NSW, VIC and SA generally favour brick veneer, that is wooden frames with a brick outer veneer, generally on concrete slabs and foundations. Although in years gone, many had wooden floors with a crawl space below.

Theses days, I think 99 percent of sheds are steel framed clad in steel sheeting. Years ago mostly just galvanised sheeting, these days Colourbond, available in a range of colours mirroring the steel, Colourbond fencing.

I'd better say something about Tassy, in Australia Tassy is usually forgotten, indeed, many a map doesn't even show Tasmania. Lots of different styles in Tassy, with historical buildings everywhere, some quite grand, many built by criminal labour still standing.

We are subject to strict regulations in Oz, in some developments colour and material choices are dictated by the developer, as is the style of house, Council rules dictate how far from the road the house should be built, while developers even dictate how far in front of the garage the front wall should be. In our development, the block had to have so many square metres of space free of structures, height of structures was limited as was fence height, house frontage had to be two colours/materials, the front wall one metre in front of the garage, water heater had to be solar, solar panels were not to be visible from the road, fencing dead on 1.8 m and colourbond, corner houses had to have a different fencing colour, material and design, pitch of roof was set as was the overall height of any out structures.

Of course one only has to wait for the last block in a development to sell, then their rules go out the window and council rules apply. No permanent structure: Gazebos, pergolas, sheds, etc can be built without council approval, although quite a few ignore the rule and approval is usually granted after the fact.

The 1/4 acre block has largely disappeared, developers now concentrate on much smaller blocks, some under 300 Square metres. Many houses now have only a couple of feet free between house and fence, just enough room for a walkway, but none for sheds, pergolas, etc. I believe this is a push to stop suburban spread and make infrastructure cheaper, ie, fewer roads to build, shorter water, electricity, sewerage runs and so on.

Many areas in Australia, notwithstanding the West, have reactive soils, in our area, highly reactive soils, ie, stamp your foot down and the other will rise. This of course creates problems: Water pipes, sewerage pipes break, roads don't remain flat for long, indeed some in our area resemble rollercoasters.

In Norway, on the other hand (almost literally), 99% of all free standing houses are wood. Pine or spruce framing, floor beams and roof structures. Outer cladding also Pine or spruce boards, painted or with a kind of oil based stain. Nowadays, the requirements are at least 200 mm fiberglass insulation in outer walls, 350 mm or more in ceilings/roofs, depending on loft design (heated space or just a well vented space) And balanced mechanical ventilation. This all means significantly higher construction costs.....

In much of the Northern USA wood framed houses on poured concrete basements are the norm. This has much to do with keeping the foundation stable even though frost may penetrate 4' in a rough winter. Where soil/water levels make basements difficult, insulated floating slabs are now used. Amazingly most housing stock built before any serious government regulation/requirements continues to function just fine. Retrofitting older housing stock to increase insulation and tightness is common. :rolleyes:

In much of the Northern USA wood framed houses on poured concrete basements are the norm. This has much to do with keeping the foundation stable even though frost may penetrate 4' in a rough winter. Where soil/water levels make basements difficult, insulated floating slabs are now used. Amazingly most housing stock built before any serious government regulation/requirements continues to function just fine. Retrofitting older housing stock to increase insulation and tightness is common. :rolleyes:

It’s amazing how these old houses weather the storm literally. My far northern IL wood framed ranch house built in 1950 on concrete blocks stands strong and has had no significant movement or issues from the foundation since I’ve owned it and the basement stays dry. I maintain the property well and have redone the roof, soffit, fascia, and gutter system since purchase while adding insulation along the way. My tenants also keep great care of the property, which is why I only charge them the exact cost of the escrow without making any money, well plus they’re my 80 year old grandparents haha, I love having them nearby to my current house. I appreciate the quality of materials and workmanship that went into a lot of these older homes, although the electrician and plumber I’ve found to have possibly been intoxicated throughout the life of my home prior to my purchase.

Sounds like Oz has many more rules than when I live in Central New York! Now I know there are places around here where things are different with HOA's (home owners associations)! They can tell you all kinds of thing even, I think, what day of the week you can mow the lawn and the time of day for that!

Where my house is the town sets rules for things like how close to property line you can build certain things. When we were building the house we had plans to build a small "barn" for my wife to keep her horse in. We found out that a "barn" had to be something like 100 feet from any property line. This would have meant location would have been restricted due to the lot size only being 277 feet wide. However wife did some reading and discovered we called it a "private stable" the set back was much less. In the long run she decided to sell this horse before the "private stable" was finished so it severed as a garage for a few years and now after a real garage was built it has been a storage shed for lawn equipment and stuff!

As for the 1/4 acre building lot size I don't think I could live like that. Our land is five acres and to the west is another 5 acres with no house owned by now ex-wife who lives BC Canada, to the east are a couple maybe 10 to 15 acre fields right now waiting for the cow corn to finish ripening. To the south behind our land must be a few hundred acres of rocky wooded land owned by the local quarry. To the north across the state highway is a combination of rocky wooded land and again some corn fields.

ourhouse.jpg

Our house circled in red. Not sure about Google maps, why they have that "flag marker" for Kindercare out in the middle of the woods

Couple of pictures from Google earth. Ours is the smallest house and block in the street. We chose this block and house as we didn't want to move again, this is it until we die. Minimum maintenance - no grass or gardens, just paving and river rock and one living area, less house to keep clean, although it's still a 4x2x2. Only down side was the small 5x5 shed.
A lot of houses have solar panels now, in retrospect I should have installed a bigger system. Houses also had to have Pink Bats in walls and ceilings and a rain water tank connected to the toilets as well.
Just a short drive to the beach and walk to the shopping centre and an even shorter walk to the park and scrublands.
I forgot, we do have grass: A small patch 1m x 1.5m for the dog. The wife really works up a sweat mowing that. Suits us well, although I would have liked a bigger shed.
Some pics during the build. I had to level the backyard as it was on a bit of a slope and lay a retaining wall along the back. Middle of summer so the ground was like a rock, had to use a pick. In the end I gave up and hired a bobcat.

Attachments

• 10374533_1507046882888686_5705746054157266843_n.jpg
    10374533_1507046882888686_5705746054157266843_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 10422483_1507045902888784_6466031953763017005_n.jpg
    10422483_1507045902888784_6466031953763017005_n.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 10675554_1507046216222086_8996403301426877646_n.jpg
    10675554_1507046216222086_8996403301426877646_n.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 10430879_1507046329555408_8389499602394437679_n.jpg
    10430879_1507046329555408_8389499602394437679_n.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 10377256_1507046236222084_5340843605106055166_n.jpg
    10377256_1507046236222084_5340843605106055166_n.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 88
  • 1528488_1507046569555384_3416948961640110823_n.jpg
    1528488_1507046569555384_3416948961640110823_n.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    3.1 MB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    2.8 MB · Views: 89
My nephew sent me a photo of the house that he has just bought in Summerhill, Sydney -1.9 million Aussie $.
And there was me thinking UK house prices were steep.
Sydney has the highest house prices in OZ, followed closely by Vic, Qld, SA, WA and Tassy. NT and ACT are territories rather than States and prices there fall just under Vic prices.
Covid has had a marked effect on real estate, SA house prices went up by around 40 percent over the last 12-24 months. Two years ago our house was valued at around 350k, today 500 -600k. Sydney prices have always been ridiculous, but it looks like the rest of Oz is catching up..
Of the ten most expensive properties in Australia, Point Piper and Vaucluse in Sydney hold the first eight places, the top selling for 100,000,000 four years ago, Christ knows what it's worth today.
Number 8 and 9 sold for a paltry 60,000,000 one in Vic the other in WA. I never bid on either of these properties, surprisingly, as neither had workshops - deal breaker for me.

I was just about to say that in Oz we don't have cellars, then I remembered Coober Pedy. In Coober Pedy, some houses are underground, so I guess the whole house is a cellar. https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-coober+pedy-137697530 Big savings too be made on window cleaner I guess.

Some are quite luxurious, even have swimming pools. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1RXQR_en-GBAU1001AU1001&sxsrf=ALiCzsYdV30Q_AMpjmXJ3CxCiYLi52NMXg:1662443286440&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=coober+pedy+underground+house+with+pool&fir=QwcGBIM4xoMBuM%2C-qnZpWZvWXYdFM%2C_%3BYM54FHciyzWlzM%2CruSUarZvO3m2mM%2C_%3B2sBGFucrqSnT1M%2CUsh_j-bauCFyvM%2C_%3BYtRV2K6pkmsKzM%2CmWWtWN80Yx2JFM%2C_%3BuQypJeXE45cXeM%2C6HE4wrlrTVklgM%2C_%3BtIgC9kPydXyB8M%2CSsqKLySMXVa4PM%2C_%3BVs1o6iLCsbOsVM%2CZuyD4q8csjD5IM%2C_%3BFEVwMQ949HuedM%2CruSUarZvO3m2mM%2C_%3Bhr4YFInXifyfgM%2CYdSaz7sgyaaInM%2C_%3BLWgTlKRWCPeTXM%2ChI0MDnAGUgurjM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTO1rGrtCk_aem5m6n0tYjCOrTxpg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6nrDsu__5AhUGSGwGHSilA8IQjJkEegQIAxAC&biw=1536&bih=846&dpr=1.25
I remember seeing a sign on on the side of the road quite a few years ago which read 'Water $2'. Don't remember for how much water you got for your money, but I'm sure you get the picture.
Quite an interesting place Coober Pedy, a few people have disappeared, never to be seen again!

Last edited:
Here's an upscale Queenslander. We lived in a Queenslander type house in the NT for a few years, quite a spacious property: Upstairs was the living area, downstairs was just where the cars lived along with a small bricked in area about 4' x 8' where you sheltered during a cyclone.
The RAAF MQ area consisted of many houses that were built before the war and many were strafed by Japanese fighters. Classified as historically significant so the bullet holes were still visible.
I was the Cyclone Officer for a short time during my time there and was responsible for identifying buildings suitable for cyclone shelters and identifying personnel and some of their families and where they could shelter during a cyclone, amongst other duties. Fortunately, owing to the geography of Darwin, not many cyclones make landfall. The one one on Xmas day in 1974 being one that did.

Attachments

• 7224702-6478291-Cyclone_Tracy_destroyed_almost_everything_in_its_path_leaving_st-a-4_154561714...jpg
    7224702-6478291-Cyclone_Tracy_destroyed_almost_everything_in_its_path_leaving_st-a-4_154561714...jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Cyclone_tracy_13.jpg
    Cyclone_tracy_13.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 2017581579_1_1_220209_015855-w4000-h3000_hbckp8.jpg
    2017581579_1_1_220209_015855-w4000-h3000_hbckp8.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 69
Another sign from Coober Pedy. And a house in the NT - an ant house.

Attachments

• WIN_20220906_17_27_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220906_17_27_19_Pro.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 72
  • WIN_20220906_17_37_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220906_17_37_08_Pro.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Britain benefits from a very wide diversity of housing built over a long period. Obviously, buildings from the Middle Ages are not numerically very significant. But there are millions of houses from the eighteenth century on. Huge expansion in the nineteenth century so a vast number of Victorian properties. Which are popular with owners because, although the house might be old with facilities that need modernisation, they are usually so structurally sound that you can knock the hell out of them and they can take it.

With the Government's rash promise to achieve net zero CO2 over the next couple of decades the intention has been stated to enormously upgrade the insulation of every home in Britain. Well, good luck with that. But it raises frightening prospects for homeowners.

Most homes in the South East are built of brick, and often there is a cavity wall which gives some scope for insulation, but probably not up to the level required by net zero. Many houses in the more northerly parts, particularly older ones, are built of stone and if I use ours as an example, it's a Victorian, mid-terrace, stone property with solid stone walls, 2 foot - 60cm - thick.

PICT2014.JPG

The house has been here since 1870-something, about 140 to 150 years. We have done as much as we reasonably can to upgrade the property. Knocked down the uninsulated two-storey rear extension and replaced it - the new structure is timber frame over an insulated concrete base, an insulated cavity and a stone outer wall to match the rest of the house. We have stuffed the main house roof space with solid thermal insulation, draft-proofed, fitted double-glazing, put down new floors, upgraded the gas central heating with more efficient boiler and radiators, etcetera.

But will that be enough to reach Government targets? Probably not. It has been suggested that these older homes might need to have significant additional insulation applied inside the walls, thus making the rooms smaller. Or even a thermal sheath built over the outside of the house.

As I said, frightening prospects. Our main hope is that the ambitions outlined by those in power will prove to be hot air, or that it will take them a very long time to get around to us and that we will be gone before the worst of it. Quite depressing put like that.

Toglhot - Did a house sit at Aldinga Beach a couple of years ago - on Aldinga Beach Road just over from you - really enjoyed the area and got to know it a bit - I live in Kidman Park.
Regards Ray.

Successive U.K. governments have a dismal track record in getting technical decisions right. 25 years ago they were telling we peasants to buy diesel cars, 15 years ago smart meters were the answer and now we have net zero as a goal regardless of what the rest of the world does.
The problem is that common sense appears to be something of a rarity in the halls of power.
Toglhot - Did a house sit at Aldinga Beach a couple of years ago - on Aldinga Beach Road just over from you - really enjoyed the area and got to know it a bit - I live in Kidman Park.
Regards Ray.

Here is my house, just shy of 70 degrees northern latitude. One picture from early February, and one from when I had planned to polish my sports fishing boat, in early May .......Had to postpone that job a little bit. House was built in 1954, machine timber solid construction (horizontal double tongue and groove planks approx 2 3/4"x6"). After I took over from some older relatives, I have added 100 mm insulation and new cladding boards on the outside. When renovating inside, I have added another 50 mm on the inside of the timber. So it is warmer inside than the pictures indicate :)

Attachments

• Early February.jpg
    Early February.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Early May.jpg
    Early May.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 75
Here is my house, just shy of 70 degrees northern latitude. One picture from early February, and one from when I had planned to polish my sports fishing boat, in early May .......Had to postpone that job a little bit. House was built in 1954, machine timber solid construction (horizontal double tongue and groove planks approx 2 3/4"x6"). After I took over from some older relatives, I have added 100 mm insulation and new cladding boards on the outside. When renovating inside, I have added another 50 mm on the inside of the timber. So it is warmer inside than the pictures indicate :)
I guess you can put more miles on a snowmobile than a motorcycle! I'll stay below 35 degrees north latitude, thank you!

Housing in Canada is probably very similar to housing in the more northerly US states. Houses here are typically wood-framed on concrete foundations that are at least 4' below ground (the theoretical frost line). Walls are framed with 2" x 6" studs, externally wrapped with a vapour barrier, sheathed externally with 1/2" oriented strand board and insulated with fiberglass wool batts. External cladding can be brick or stone veneer, vinyl, aluminum or steel clapboard, or true wood or engineered wood cladding boards. Roofs are typically ashphalt shingle, but can also be done with steel/aluminum roofing sheet. Temperature range, in Montreal at least, is +/- 30 * C. Snow on the ground as early as mid November and as late as mid-April. Hence, those of us that can head for Florida in winter. We're called "snowbirds", LOL!

Hello ArticXS, had to do some research on Tromsoe. Very interesting to find that despite your latitude, it is not really that cold in winter, compared to Montreal. This is of course because of the Gulf Stream. On the other hand, your summer temps aren't really very warm. Regardless, we adapt, right?

No such thing as bituminised roofs in OZ, we have either concrete/clay tiles or corrugated iron (colourbond). Not surprising I suppose, I think the heat here would just make a tarry mess on the roof.

Quite an interesting place Coober Pedy, a few people have disappeared, never to be seen again!
An old friend of mine went out there a long time ago, probably in the 60s, going by his age. He fetched up at some underground mining place like Coober Pedy and nearly got his head blown off by a deranged twat who thought he was claim jumping.
The way he described was that the place was riddled with old holes in the ground - you'd think they were abandoned workings, but somebody somewhere still had a claim there.

Back