Differences in Pilot Jets?????

xscessivecompulsive

Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just ordered a size larger for my pilot jets and noticed they have small holes on the sides of the shaft, my stock ones do not?? Did they make changes to them or is that something that changes when you go up a size on pilots! Just wondered what you guys had to say before I put em in??

Thanks,

XsC

The holes don't make any difference. Whether the jet is a VM22/210 or BS30/96 type does .....

650PilotJets.jpg

Well 5twins, Im hoping the pilots I received are the VM22/210. Its looks like they are for 76-79 and my carbs are from a 79. In the picture it looks like air bleed holes are different between the two, I'll go check mine out! Thanks fellas...........

XsC

The difference is the placement of the restriction?
You want yours at the top not the bottom.
I have found(in the carbs) and used both the solid and perforated of the same type and couldn't tell the difference. But I'm not as accomplished as most others.

I just rebuilt my 76-77 BS38s this weekend, and the original 122.5 was solid, while the 125 I rejetted to has the air bleed holes. Mine has the VM22/210 style pilots.

'76-'77 BS38s use a #122.5 main, not pilot. Stock pilot was a #25 VM22/210 type.

Hey Guys, So I dont know what the hell is going on here! I ordered the 30 pilot jets from 650 central and I believe they are the vm22/210. The ones I pulled out were completely solid and didnt have any holes in the sides. I put em in yesterday and couldnt get the bike to run! It would start for a couple seconds and then die out, know Im pretty sure I kicked it over enough times and just couldnt get it to go? I then threw in my old pilots which were 27.5 and it started right up? Now heres my question, where the heck does a guy locate a size 30 pilot jet that is solid? And is it bad if I run the bike with the size 27.5 if my mains are 140's?? Im hoping you guys can shed some light on this as I just talked with Mike over at 650 central and at this point we are both stumped as to why those solid jets are in these carbs! I thought the carbs are from a 79, but he told me every pilot in 79 had the holes in em and arent the same style as mine???? Thoughts Please???

XsC

Jayel, Im not at the shop right now to take a look but will tomm! My bike is titled as an 81, but when I bought it the guy told me that the carbs came off a 79. I just dont know what the hell to make of it! Maybe they did come off a totally different bike all together but they look just like the Bs38 and all signs point to it! Im just really scratchin my head on this one???

XsC

Your carbs are 38s and probably a '78-'79 set. Take a close look at your new pilots and the chart above. Locate the metering orifice. If it's at the top of the jet, it is a VM22/210 type (which you want). If it is at the bottom then they are BS30/96 type pilots and won't work in your carbs (even though they fit). The holes in the side make no difference. I've run both and they both work. If you want "no hole" #30s, you can get them out of some XS500 carbs.

If you're still running those same air filters as in the pic, you should change them, they're no good.

Thanks 5twins, I will take a close look at the pilots when I get back to the shop tomm, and see where the metering orfice is! And ya Im still running those same filters! What would be a good choice for filters to run with? I need to find some that are fairly short lengthwise because the ones on there now barley fit where the hardtail mounts to the frame!!

XsC

Another way to identify your carbs is by the way the needle fits in the slide and it's number. The late 78-79 carbs the needle is held in with a snap ring.
The needle number is 502 and the needle jet is a Z-2.
Leo

Back