Different way to U-turn

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Different way to do a U-turn. I usually drag the rear brake and do it slowly. But -- I have done this by accident, and you might have too. It feels like kind of a whip effect (and feels like you almost fell). Your timing has to be just right, but it might be instinctive too. I'll probably try this on purpose some now.

Best way is to ride the rear brake enough so you don't go too fast, use a bit of throttle so you don't stall it, slip the clutch to help keep rpms up.
With a bit of practice you can make u turns or even circles with the forks on the stops.
It was easier when I was younger.
Leo

Yeah the combination of throttle, slipping clutch, and rear is how they do those extreme cone courses. This reminds me of how we used to do the u-turn on our bicycles.

Here in NY the road test for motorcycle is two right hand circles, two left hand circles and two figure eights. You do them right out on the street.
Use your feet = fail, stall it = fail, hit the curb = fail, hit a car = fail, obstruct other traffic = fail.
So throttle, clutch and brake skills are needed to pass.
Leo

There is another way to do a u-turn. Used to do this on dirt bikes. Slow down, plant foot in direction you wanted to turn, pull in clutch, jack bars in direction of turn, grab a hand full of throttle, dump clutch, light up rear wheel and pivot on your foot.

There is another way to do a u-turn. Used to do this on dirt bikes. Slow down, plant foot in direction you wanted to turn, pull in clutch, jack bars in direction of turn, grab a hand full of throttle, dump clutch, light up rear wheel and pivot on your foot.
I've seen it done on street bikes. But not by me. Never had a street bike that was capable or the gonads to try it.

Or jus do an Arty johnson.
received_331021667579067.jpeg

Turns out, well turns in are pretty damned wide on crotch rockets, fark! My own driveway, 20 foot of room but nope hit fork stop and plop, down I went.

Back