Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Any ideas for a better dipstick gasket besides the stock cork one I have
that cork is pretty flimsy even when it's new

I wouldn't think an o ring would work If it had a groove to fit in maybe
I think it would have to be flat just wondering if there is something like the original made out of some kind of material that could take the heat
Thanks

This isnt a very demanding application for a gasket.
Our tappet covers are sealed by o-rings and that is a much higher heat circumstance.
I have cut out dipstick gaskets using a razor blade from routine thick gasket sheet material from my local auto store.
Worked quite well.

This isnt a very demanding application for a gasket.
Our tappet covers are sealed by o-rings and that is a much higher heat circumstance.
I have cut out dipstick gaskets using a razor blade from routine thick gasket sheet material from my local auto store.
Worked quite well.
I've been making a few gaskets lately with the thinner material
The thicker gasket material sounds like it should work it would lay flat like the cork just be tougher
Thanks

When I was making and selling my XS650 ThermoDipSticks, I made gaskets using both 1/16" and 3/32" cork-rubber gasket material, and both have worked fine and held up with no problems. I used a special punch that created the gasket in a single step, but if you're just making one, then you can cut the O.D. out with scissors and cut the I.D. with an Xacto knife or a razor as Yamadude suggested (cut the I.D. first).
A thin coating of something like Yamabond is required to hold the gasket in place.
I no longer have any ThermoDipSticks, but I still have several gaskets. If you want to go to the trouble of sending me a SASE, I'll send you one.

When I was making and selling my XS650 ThermoDipSticks, I made gaskets using both 1/16" and 3/32" cork-rubber gasket material, and both have worked fine and held up with no problems. I used a special punch that created the gasket in a single step, but if you're just making one, then you can cut the O.D. out with scissors and cut the I.D. with an Xacto knife or a razor as Yamadude suggested (cut the I.D. first).
A thin coating of something like Yamabond is required to hold the gasket in place.
I no longer have any ThermoDipSticks, but I still have several gaskets. If you want to go to the trouble of sending me a SASE, I'll send you one.
I need to try the yamabond to hold it place that would make sense
Thanks

Back