Do Bobbers handle?

Grab a bigger stick :laugh::thumbsup:

i cant wait to ride my build. getting so close to a finish.

theyre nice man. just learn the good years from the bad. but man my 66 is the one i should have never let go.

I'm going to start throwing rocks. Lol
And I Nevermind. I will roll this xs650 till it rattles itself apart lol. 750 kit will be going in soon. Hope it makes it a different beast.

^^^ Buddy is doing a 750 re-phase, worked head, XS1 cam, Lectron carbs. I am going to say it will be a monster. Even if you do not rephase your build it will be close to 60 hp. I think my bike is damn quick LOL

I agree:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile
How we got on the "XLCH" topic was my attempt to explain how "choppers" and "bobbers " evolved from riders back in the '40s-'60s trying to IMPROVE how their bikes preformed to the form over function "pieces of something (art?) " that people started building in the late '60s to present.

The early XLCH was the factory copying what people were doing to sportsters on the street . Look at a stock sporty from that era and an XLCH. The XLCH was what the "chopper " crowd was building (or un-building ) at the time, before "choppers" just got silly.

^^^ Buddy is doing a 750 re-phase, worked head, XS1 cam, Lectron carbs. I am going to say it will be a monster. Even if you do not rephase your build it will be close to 60 hp. I think my bike is damn quick LOL

That HHB motor you got is insane !! From a top xs builder at that !

I'm pretty happy with my bike performance. But I did go with 18/30 sprockets. So low end is lacking. I'm hoping the 750 kit will bring me back some low end grunt.

I was thinking of re phasing mines. But decided I can't take away that rumble that makes the xs650 unique :)

Your buddies bike sounds like it's a beast in the making. I almost went down the lectrons road but not much info I them specific to xs650. So vm34 will have to do. Maybe 2into1. Maybe.

Okay in the interest of fairness I'll post this and a disclaimer to follow .
I'll only make one more stab at the sawzall crowd . There are only just so many of these bikes left . I consider cutting up a perfectly good frame to be a sin . The only reason you got this many words out of me this time is that the above example is a constructed frame and not a weld on hard tail of dubious manufacture and installation . If you're going to ride without suspension , if you're going to piece together some Fong Bro's me too contraption , if you really feel that your vision of two wheeled rolling art includes the XS 650 then please , by all means have at it . Just leave my classics alone and start from scratch . You even have a better chance of accomplishing what you want from a blank sheet than you do cutting up what is fast becoming a limited resource .

~kop

Actually, I use a cutoff wheel, NOT a sawzall, so please don't group me in with that "no talent" sawzall crowd. My decorative lawn ornaments deserve better. However, if it makes you feel any better about these disappearing stock bikes, I did roll one entire stock xs650 into a dumpster (minus the back wheel) a few years ago because it was in my way. FONG BROS - Limiting resources for years and years.

Actually, I use a cutoff wheel, NOT a sawzall, so please don't group me in with that "no talent" sawzall crowd. My decorative lawn ornaments deserve better. However, if it makes you feel any better about these disappearing stock bikes, I did roll one entire stock xs650 into a dumpster (minus the back wheel) a few years ago because it was in my way. FONG BROS - Limiting resources for years and years.

Hi fongbros,
I just bought a sawzall (my house needed a bigger hole in it) but us real precisionists prefer to use a gas axe.
But really, I want to thank you and all the others just like you.
your ongoing efforts to reduce the number of XS650s still in their unwrecked condition helps to increase the worth of the survivors, including my very nearly pristine Heritage Special.

Hey!!! I use a HACKSAW and sometimes two rocks BUT I AM OLD
Bikes that are old are made better by cutting the hell out of them. THATS WHY its called CHOPPERS DUH!!!!!! I buy up all I can and CUT SAW BEND WELD and have some fun.
HE FONG thought you dropped off the earth. How the hell you doing.
What you building?????
Have a good day guys......:laugh:

Still around and still resurrecting old threads, since I can't seem to do it with old bikes. BTW anyone know where I can find a mint condition Vincent Black Shadow? I am only into chopping super rare classics now. I like to do my part to make all stock bikes more valuable.
Actually I moved and am in the process of setting up my new shop. Maybe in 3 or 4 months it will be up and running.

I must be the only guy using a porta band to chop things...

Also, I believe the "CH" in XLCH stood for competition hot. It more closely followed the racing heritige of the KLH or K Model. One of the main differences early on was a Magneto.

My current project started as a bare frame with clean title and a TC bros hardtail... $200. I chopped that off and went with a ardcore. So how does everyone feel about chopping bikes that were already chopped?

I don't really feel the pinch that these bikes are becoming that rare. There is a guy giving me two that are getting in the way of things in his basement... No titles, but still. They're out there people, and not that expensive.

This thread was horrible and I'm glad I didn't read the whole thing.

Last edited:
BTW anyone know where I can find a mint condition Vincent Black Shadow? I am only into chopping super rare classics now. I like to do my part to make all stock bikes more valuable.

vin3.jpg

Look even one with a harley tank!
02.jpg

Hi Nailbomb,
either of those two custom-framed bikes would be a money making twofer.
Pull the Vincent power unit out (and the Girdraulic forks from the top one) to sell for a fortune then graft in a Briggs & Stratton motor and park the thing outside of OC Choppers until they paid you to take it away.

I'm not sure that will work. Haven't they gone bankrupt more than once already? Never did care for the pro street style, always saw it as a passing fad like I believe the current'big wheel' baggers are.

That fad came back three times over the last 30 yrs. FAT tire Tall Tire High Bars Low Bars Extended front ends Lower Front ends ETC!!! That's what CHOPPIN ALL ABOUT
I have seen some really weird motors in bikes over the years But some OLDER BIKES should just stay stock worth more that way.
FONG opening up down there near JON (MONSTERCRAFTSMAN)???
Let me know when you have the opening pass by there two times a month heading to my son's in NC.
BE GOOD KEEP CHOPPIN
RICH

Back