Do Bobbers handle?

Here's a bike I saw in Barcelona, The Tank reads "Hells Angels, Barcelona" or something similar. I wonder if it handles. No, I don't, not really. But I am about to take a grinding wheel to my Heritage Special and give her a Monstermechanic Brat style shock subframe because it looks good, and superbly rigid as well. It is unlikely that what I build from this fabrication will fit neatly into any sort of category because my philosophy is first you make it work, then you make it work well, then you make it pretty. This bike is going to handle.

Attachments

• DSC01128.jpg
    DSC01128.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC01129.jpg
    DSC01129.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 303
Scrambled, your post popped up between mine and Skull's. That may be why it didn't fit. I've edited mine but still feel the way I do. I can't believe the country has let itself get this way. And I can't believe people elected that asshole TWICE. Nobody I ever asked voted for him. Is this a fix somewhere? I think so. And he's fucking Hilary, I just know it, lol.

I have your back! :guns:

off topic? check
mud slinging? check
religion? check
politics? check
all we need now is an alien debate and this thread will be complete! :D

Hi deadchef,
that reminds me of a way back UK competition to come up with a newspaper headline that had everything:-
Teenage surgeon-priest injured in mystery sex-change dash to palace

I caught an alien tryin to take my bobber for a ride.
Thanks goodness it handles so poorly that I was able to knock it off my bike while I jumped on a road circles around it. It got dizzy and fell over I tied it up and took it to the government. I was told at that time if I told anyone about this I would be up a creek without a paddle. So keep this to yourself shhhhhhhhh

Last edited:
Shame on you guys ! Your Momma taught you better ! (or should have)
if you don't have anything nice to say ,....don't SAY anything !
How long does it take to realise that if you criticise you choose your enemy ?
Constructive criticizem is a good thing IF it's taken like it was ment.
if not you need to appoligize and re state it. if not for you but for the board as a whole
no one wants to hear a Pissing contest !
I realise some guys live for them and start fights on every board they visit just so they can ruffel feathers...but they are few and get banded eventually
people have different opinions , if you insist your opinion is the only right one YOU are at fault not someone else!
Living with other Humans and putting up with their Quirks is the Hardest task we ever face....
TRY HARDER NEXT TIME !!!!!!
..... tisk tisk !
Bob..........
yes it's a very old thread but it's still here !

Bob, you had to revive a thread that's been dead for two years to find something to get worked up over. You're new here and already looking for ways to scold guys who've made significant contributions for a long time. Exactly what are you trying to prove? If you don't like the neighborhood, move.

Good point Grizld1
I should have taken my own advice and not say anything !
I'm not trying to prove anything and I don't think many are here ....just here to help not everyone is a mechanic after all and some are better than others at it.... but in most casses usually more than one mind on the subject helps !
LOL Yes 2M it did Piss me off ! I thought this board was differnt and didn't have that stuff... welcome to reality Bob ! HAHAHAHAH!
I will be the first to say My people skills are kind'a lacking.... but on the other hand My Cow skills are top notch !!!!!! HAHAHAHA!
C ya ! Bob........

Gee Bob,
you are missing this string's main purpose, it's the list's flare stack.
Like when you drive past a refinery and you wonder why it's tallest chimney has a big ol' flame at the top?
That's because you can't keep all those control valves from leaking volatile fluids so each valve is ducted and the
flammable vapors sucked away to be burned safely instead of dripping out locally and perhaps blowing up
the entire refinery.
Works the same here except the list's "flare stack" safely burns up flammable opinions so we can mostly all get along.

Bob, if you think that thread was bad you should look up Fred's response when I told him what a horrible abuse it was to hang a sidehack on an XS650. It was horrible, horrible... I was scanning the roads for Saskatchewan plates for months, going in fear of my life. I think he's accepted my groveling apology, but there are days when I think he might be waiting for a false sense of security to set in before he burns down the road south, and strikes.

Bob, if you think that thread was bad you should look up Fred's response when I told him what a horrible abuse it was to hang a sidehack on an XS650. It was horrible, horrible... I was scanning the roads for Saskatchewan plates for months, going in fear of my life. I think he's accepted my groveling apology, but there are days when I think he might be waiting for a false sense of security to set in before he burns down the road south, and strikes.
Hi Grizld1,
and you took me seriously? I am so sorry that your sense of humour died.
Gotta link to that post?
Admittedly, sidecars are a perversion but when the only way a derelict old fart can stay on 2 wheels is to add a 3rd one, it's what I had to do.
Although my 34 year old youngest son has been a sidecarist for some years now, (perhaps inspired by the sidecar's "chick magnet" function as he carried his bride away from their wedding reception in his XS650/Spirit Eagle rig)
His biker buddy tried the rig and said "I gotta have one of these!" went out and bought a derelict 1,000cc Gold Wing and a Velorex 562 in sorry shape which my son has very nearly finished building up into a very nice sidecar rig.
Besides sidecars being a perversion, they are also highly addictive.

lol ! I have seen too many nasty online wars not to be leary of them sorry !!!! not a purty site !
.... I got my Carb's off and mostly all appart but I lack Compressed air to blow out the passageways..... I have a hunk of new gasline though ...problem is I can't blow that hard ! I told the wife I needed a can of sprey carburator cleaner from walmart...if she brings a can home that will do the trick !
..... I miss my big aircompressor I had..... right now I have a jerry-rigged 3.5 B&S on a very old sears air compressor sitting on a 8 gallon tank with no regulators or nothng..... its ok for airing up tires but not much else ! ....
... I can't say that my xperience with sidecars was all that great but then I really havn't tried a good one !....
I really like the idea of a trike conversion kit but those cost more than my bike would ! trikes are FUN ya need arms like a bull ape to stear them but they are fun !
LOL......
Bob.........

Last edited:
A link, Fred? I'd never resurrect that savage business! I still have nightmares about being chain whipped and hauled down the highway, face to the asphalt and ankles lashed to the deck of a Velorex.

Fred, just think about the bad craziness that prevails south of the border, then imagine what 70 years or so of that shit would do to any decent human being's disposition. O tempore! O mores!

I really like the idea of a trike conversion kit but those cost more than my bike would ! trikes are FUN ya need arms like a bull ape to stear them but they are fun !
Hi Bob,
Your lo-cost trike conversion kit is at the local auto-wrecker's yard. But it has to be a foretrike.
Front end off any small car that's been rear-ended. Attach to bike in place of front wheel & forks.

Okay in the interest of fairness I'll post this and a disclaimer to follow .
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/4421505092.html
00m0m_3kaq7sgvbSn_600x450.jpg

attachments as i expect the ad to go away ...

~kop

This thread got pretty nuts. I just want to throw a positive mention out to Kopcicle for actually pasting the text and pictures from a craigslist post he referenced. I see SO many old threads(not necessarily here) where people posts links to craigslist, followed by a discussion about the post, and if you come along too late, you're completely lost because you'll know what the bike was.

On a side note, as much as I love seeing the chopped up 650 projects on here, I fully understand the people who don't care for it. My favorite bikes have always been Buells. People constantly buy the bikes to stick the engines in a chopper project and discard the rest. Breaks my heart a little more each time I see it. Those bikes are uncommon though, and someday you're not going to be able to find them anymore. Yahamas are, and will continue to be everywhere. Who knows. You can't get too upset about it. I like seeing guys buy a bike they can afford and spend countless hours in their garage cutting, filing, grinding, imagining, ebaying, painting, wiring, and fabricating parts for their bike, and documenting the whole thing for us to watch. I think by nature those bikes end up as hardtailed choppers because they're simple and easy to work on, which is important to people who work on their own bikes. It reminds me of when I was in college and everyone had fixed gear bicycles in the city. Yes, there are bikes with gears and brakes and carbon fiber and suspension, but those things were the absolute most fun things you could ride around the city. They were rough on your knees just like a hardtail would be on your back, but if people decide they can live without a rear suspension, it won't be any different than people 20 years from now not understanding how people still like bikes without ABS, traction control, and 8 different engine ride modes. Forums will be filled with guys buying cheap bikes, pulling off all the unwanted electronics, and a bunch of people yelling "why would you remove the ABS from your bike?! that's a backwards step in technology, so it's clearly not better!".

I've built hardtails, and set up right they are very comfortable. That being said, my last build was a brat and it handles as expected. A lot has to do with the riders experience and comfort level. IMHO

Back