Do i have a problem?

swbill

Slacker garage shop
Reaction score
So i am just finishing the 81 xs650 cafe. Got it running, came out next day new battery was dead. Concerned I may have a problem but not sure.
Here's what is did. All electrical is stock but everything has been relocated to under the bubble of the fiberglass cafe seat, I had the lengthin several wires but everything stayed the same. Using a new ballistic 8 cell battery. Frame is new powder coat so i may have a ground issue but i do have a ground from battery to bare frame and one to the engine.
I get a constant 12.6 volts regardless of rmps, the headlight stays the same brightness regardless of rpms. Couple of the first test the voltage went down a bit when started but i may have just not held the leads solid because it doesn't seem to do it now.
Couple unassociated things, Turn signals don't blink unless I tap on the flasher relay. Going to replace it and backfiring on left cylinder pretty bad. I don't see these as having anything to do with it but i thought I would mention it.
Long story short. Should the voltage always spike to 14 or so volts and should the headlight always get brighter or did maybe this ballistic battery fix that? Do I even have a problem or was the dead battery just a fluke. Thanks for any advice.

Well, I think you have a charging problem, as in you're not. Voltage output should rise up to 14-14.5 when you rev to 3-3.5K. The battery type has nothing to do with this, this is your charging system in action. Yours ain't doin' it's thing, lol.

Yep that's what I was afraid of. Hate it when problems start after you've done something. First have to figure out if I did something or if there is actually a mechanical problem with the charging process. Back to the basics I guess,time to start chasing wires.

I'm going to post things as I find them, maybe something will jump out at someone that Im not seeing. I have wired a few xs650s but i guess I got lucky and they all worked the first time.
Right now I'm getting 12.5v at the battery, with the key on engine not running I get 10.4 from the red wire to ground at the stater and only 7.5v from the red to the green at the stater.

Shouldn't I haven't close to the same voltage on these wire with the key on as the battery has? I get 8.4 volts between these two.
2012-03-22201145.jpg

Getting ready to head back out and dig deeper into it. Any suggestions where I should look next?

Have you checked the brushes? They're considered a wear item on these bikes. Once they get too short, charging stops. You could also clean the slip rings, they look kinda dirty. I've fixed non-charging bikes in the past just by doing that. Pop the alternator off and clean the rings up with a Scotchbrite pad until they shine.

i seem to be haveing battery problems, seems like i charge battery over night and turn my key on and it still low charge, blinkers dont work and my headlight still dont work..

Figured it out. Rotor is shot. Reading only .8 ohms between rings even after cleaning it up.

OK so anyone seen this. I get my new rotor today,put it in fire it up and smoke is pouring out of the stater cover. Shut it down and pull it apart to see the new rotor glowing, pull the stater and after some looking around I see that the 2 screws the hold the cover over the brushes are bottoming out on the new rotor right on the slip rings. These screws are OEM and hadn't been touched. I removed them and everything is fine. Wth? Am I missing something here? The rotor is completely seated but these screws are hitting. Anyone seen this? Thanks for any help.

Thinking about it more I think we may have removed that cover last week and it looks like we must have mixed those screws up with the longer screws the are for the brushes. Luckily no harm no fowl and all is now well.

Back