Do I need a new RH crank gear?

AdamX

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I changed out the starter gear on my '77 xs650. The bike starts but I'm thinking the RH Crank2 (#3061144203) might be too worn but would like to hear from someone with more experience. Pic shows the wear which was comparable on the starter gear.
Crank gear.jpg

I don't think you can replace that gear without replacing the crank or atleast that entire piece of the crank. If it is starting without slipping I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah that was my next question should it need to be replaced. A video link of how to disassemble that assembly. Major job I know.

Honestly a new crank would be simpler. I'm sure someone on the forum would have a spare around. Although it would be a good time to do a rephase if you wanted. Plus you are going to be looking at old parts, pretty much all the major NOS stuff is gone, and you might not be able to find much better. So if the starter is engaging reliably, I wouldn't worry about it.

You have what looks to be more tha 2/3 rds of the tooth left. Plenty to have. I think they come rounded from the factory a bit, helps ease engagement. The important thing about keeping the starter engaging well is twofold, A good fully charged battery and a properly tension wishbone spring.
A weak battery won't spin the starter fast enough to get the gears to slide on the shaft before they engage, causing grinding.
A weal wishbone spring won't hold the gears in place well enough to get them to slide on the shaft, again causing grinding.
So keep your battery good, this means a properly working charging system as well as the battery.
When you do start to hear a bit of grinding or hesitation with the starter Check your battery and charging system. If they check out Pull the gears and tighten the spring.
Leo

Back