Do I NEED my compression release?

natek

XS Obsessed
Reaction score
I am 99% done with my build but in wiring from scratch I switched to a relocated simplified ignition and was wondering if I needed to keep the lever and compression release. The bike is a 1973 TX650. A friend of mine has a 76 XS and his stator and components look identical so we are both under the impression Yamaha ditched the compression release as they realized it was unnecessary... is that wrong? HELP! :wtf:

I think the compression release lever also had the starter switch incorporated into it. If you still use the electric start then you will need to provide a new button for it if you remove that lever. Other than that, there's no problem removing and running without it.

I am 99% done with my build but in wiring from scratch I switched to a relocated simplified ignition and was wondering if I needed to keep the lever and compression release. The bike is a 1973 TX650. A friend of mine has a 76 XS and his stator and components look identical so we are both under the impression Yamaha ditched the compression release as they realized it was unnecessary... is that wrong? HELP! :wtf:

I share your belief that Yamaha found the compression release was not required. My 78 cranks and starts perfectly with the stock starter motor. So, if you have the same starter motor, that I have, and you have a strong battery, your bike will fire right up with no problems.

In the first years of the electric start, the starter and battery was a bit weak. In 74 they upgraded the starters and batteries and removed the compression releases.
I agree that the compression releases have a cool aspect, I have one on my 750 kitted 75. Maybe some day I'll find a switch/throttle housing that has the lever on it.
Leo

Kind of adds that old timey 30's linkage and levers look. I like them.
I think a gel cell sized to the stock battery box would have plenty of oomph to kick it over. Some one Grizld1? said they improved the starter motor in 74??? also.

Back